This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Easy cheesy cornbread muffins are whole wheat, naturally sweetened and made in just one bowl! They go great with soups and chili for a yummy dinner and can also be packed in a school lunch box!
This post is sponsored by Horizon Organic. As always, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
Happy start to a new week!
We had SUCH a fun weekend! M finally got the hang of her bike without training wheels and seeing the pride on her sweet face just fills up my heart. 💕
We also took the kiddos to their first NFL game and they LOVED it! Of course, I gave in and let them have some stadium food… normally, I’m a big NO on anything junk food or processed. And definitely no fast food.
As for me, I always get a roasted veggie + quinoa salad they have in one concession area. It’s amazing. My husband says it’s un-American but I just smile and dig in. 😊
The Panthers lost the game, but it was still a really good time!
Aaaaannnnddd… since Friday, we are now officially into FALL!
I adore summer but after Labor Day, I’m kind of ready to get on with it. Because I super duper love fall and all the leaves and sweaters and boots and pumpkins and chilly evenings. 🍁🍂🎃
And the soups. And stews. And chilis. 😊
Do you know what goes great with all those warm, comforting fall and winter dishes?
You know what’s even better?
And how do you make it super easy and super fast?
One-bowl easy cheesy cornbread muffins that cook in about 12 minutes! 🙌🎉❤️
Seriously though, we make these ALL the time!
Cornbread is a long-time Southern favorite and I know plenty of families who grew up having cornbread almost every night. Cause it’s so easy and so fast.
Mine, of course, is a little lightened up. You know me 😉
It’s whole grain, naturally sweetened and just enough butter to bring out the richness. Plus cheese to up the flavor so we don’t have any dry, crumbly cornbread. That’s never fun.
And I’m thrilled today to be partnering with Horizon Organic, who is committed to tasty, delicious products that kids love and moms feel good about!
I think my favorite part is that their shredded cheddar cheese is white cheddar. ❤️
You may know by now that it’s ALL I use (because cheese comes from milk and therefore should be white and not artificially made orange) and so those bags from Horizon Organic are a great go-to when I want some pre-shredded cheese on hand in the fridge for sprinkling on, you know, EVERYTHING!
But the kids also love getting these in their lunch box!
You can pack a thermos with some warm chili or soup or make a cold lunch of finger foods with some rotisserie chicken and black beans to go with the muffins. And some carrots and fruit on the side for a well-rounded meal. 👍
A few notes on these easy cheesy cornbread muffins:
- I use the 2% Horizon Organic milk, since that’s what we have for my son to drink, but you can also make these with 1% or skim, or use your favorite milk substitute.
- I usually leave out the corn. M tends to pick it out of the muffins so I just skip it. But it adds great flavor and texture if yours will eat it! You can use fresh corn kernels or frozen corn that’s been thawed. You could even try a can of Mexican for some extra oomph. 👌
- I use yellow cornmeal but you could substitute white. And I always use white whole wheat flour but all-purpose would work here too in a 1:1 ratio.
- We make ours mild but if you want a spicy cornbread muffin you could add 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper in with the dry ingredients OR add a finely chopped jalapeño to the batter with the wet ingredients and/or use Horizon Organic’s Mexican shredded cheese.
- You can also make this as regular cornbread instead of muffins. Use an 8×8 inch pan and bake at 425 for 22-26 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
I hope you have a fall season full of delicious eats and some yummy, warm, cheesy cornbread muffins. 💛
Mmm, I think I’m ready to make some more already!
Be sure to check out my fun new VIDEO for this recipe!
Easy cheesy cornbread muffins
Easy cheesy cornbread muffins are whole wheat, naturally sweetened and made in just one bowl!
- 1 cup cornmeal (I use yellow)
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Horizon Organic milk (2%, 1% or skim are all fine)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 6 oz. package Horizon Organic shredded white cheddar cheese, divided
- 1/2 cup corn kernels, fresh or frozen, thawed (optional)
Preheat the oven to 425. Line a muffin tin with paper liners and spray with cooking spray.
In a large bowl, mix together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients.
Into the well, add the milk, eggs, butter and honey. Mix the wet ingredients together in the well and then mix in with the dry ingredients until just combined.
Add 1 cup of the cheddar cheese and corn, if using, and fold into the batter.
Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, filling about 2/3 full. Top each muffin with a pinch of the remaining cheddar cheese.
Bake at 425 for 11-13 minutes, until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
I use the 2% milk, but you can also make these with 1% or skim, or use your favorite milk substitute.
I use yellow cornmeal but you could substitute white. And I always use white whole wheat flour but all-purpose would work here too in a 1:1 ratio.
If you want a spicy cornbread muffin you could add 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper in with the dry ingredients OR add a finely chopped jalapeño to the batter with the wet ingredients and/or use a Mexican blend or Pepper Jack cheese.
You can also make this as regular cornbread instead of muffins. Use an 8x8 inch pan and bake at 425 for 22-26 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 218kcal Calories from fat 102|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 11g||17%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||30%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Horizon Organic. The opinions and text are all mine.
Comments submitted may be displayed on other websites owned by the sponsoring brand.