Oh, this cake. This unbelievably rich, moist, delicious cake. I could eat it all day, every day.
I’ve made this cake so many times. It’s crazy easy to whip up and it’s always a hit!
This chocolate cake is decadent but also decidedly pretty good for you. It’s whole wheat flour, no butter, no oil and it’s got pumpkin in it. I mean, what’s to feel bad about?
But trust me, you’ll never know how wholesome it is because you’ll be too busy sneaking bites when no one’s looking. Don’t worry, I won’t tell. I’ll just discreetly alert you to the chocolate smear on your chin.
That’s what friends are for.
Chocolate pumpkin cake
An unbelievably rich, moist, delicious (and shh, healthy) chocolate pumpkin cake!
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour (I use white whole wheat flour)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup milk (I've used soy and skim - both work great)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a large bowl, mix together dry ingredients (flour through salt) very well.
- In a separate smaller bowl, mix together pumpkin, milk and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Add chocolate chips and stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter into a well-greased 8x8 glass pan. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
- Let cool, then cut into squares and commence face plant.
Adapted from Chocolate-Covered Katie.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 174kcal Calories from fat 49|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 5g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||16%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|