Posted by Kathryn Dohertyhttps://www.familyfoodonthetable.com/creamy-butternut-squash-brown-rice/
© 2015 Family Food on the Table. All rights reserved.
Creamy butternut squash brown rice
4-6 servings adjust servings
Creamy brown rice with butternut squash is an easy, delicious side dish!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/4 cups brown rice
- 2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 (10oz.) package of frozen butternut (or winter) squash puree
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, plus extra, to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, plus extra, to taste
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and saute for 2-3 minutes, until tender.
- Add rice and stir to get it coated in the oil and mixed with the onion.
- Stir in 2 1/2 cups chicken or vegetable broth. Bring to a boil (I crank the heat up to high to make this happen faster), reduce heat, cover and simmer on low for 30-35 minutes, until liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked.
- Meanwhile, defrost frozen butternut squash in the microwave, according to package directions. (Mine takes 5 minutes, covered in a microwave-safe bowl).
- Let it rest for a minute, then remove carefully (it will be HOT!) and stir in nutmeg, salt and black pepper.
- Once rice is cooked, season to taste with kosher salt and black pepper. Stir in butternut squash mixture and combine.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Try these two variations:
* Make it sweet: Stir 1 tablespoon maple syrup into the butternut squash puree before adding it to the rice mixture.
* Make it savory: Top each serving of rice with 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts and 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley.
| Nutrition Facts|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 283kcal Calories from fat 47|
| % Daily Value|
|Total Fat 5g||8%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||16%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|