This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Easy, fast cheese and bacon potato skins, made with sliced potato rounds!
So y’all know by now that I’m completely obsessed with all things potato, right? OK, good.
Potato skins though. Those have always held a very special place in my heart. I have fond memories of big nights out at a certain restaurant when I was little. It was special and an occasion and we got to order things like Shirley Temple’s and appetizers. And all I ever wanted was potato skins. What better way could there be to start a meal? Crispy edges, insides full of cheese and bacon, and then you go and dunk them in some sour cream? I mean, seriously…
Now, as a grown up, I don’t get out to dinner much. (And have never gone back to that restaurant, which shall remain unnamed but had something to do with being thankful that it was the last day of the work week. Get it?) And even when we do go out, appetizers these days just mean the meal is going to drag on and risk the little ones having a break-down. But I love me some potato skins. And sometimes I make them the traditional way with cheese and bacon (though I’m more likely to stuff them with veggies).
However, my kids never finish theirs. They take bites and pick at the insides and don’t get through the whole thing. They’re little, it’s fine. But I can’t leave it like that. I have to eat the rest of the potato skins on their plate, however mangled. Which is a little disturbing.
So I’ve started making bite-size, super-fast potato skins. Perfect for portioning out. By which I mean, they get a couple and I get LOTS. Plus, these are easy and quick – you just slice the potatoes, bake for a bit, top with cheese and let it melt, then serve with all the goodies. Ta-da! Easy potato skins.
Little people or big, these will be a hit. They’re also great as appetizers – lovely bite-size treats that are completely manageable while you’re balancing a drink.
So cheers to grown-up Shirley Temples and easier, faster potato skins. Enjoy!
Easy cheesy potato skins
Cheese and bacon potato skins remade into easy, fast potato slices!
- 3 large, plump russet potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup cooked, crumbled bacon, from 5-6 slices (see notes)
- Optional toppings: sour cream/plain Greek yogurt, sliced green onions, sliced black olives, chopped avocado, salsa, chopped cilantro, hot sauce
- Preheat oven to 400. Spray a cookie sheet with cooking spray.
- Slice potatoes into 1/3 inch thick slices. (I leave the skin on - seems more authentic.) Place potato rounds on baking sheet. Brush potato rounds with olive oil (or bacon grease!) and sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Roast at 400 for 15 minutes, until potatoes are almost tender.
- Remove from the oven and top each potato round with shredded cheese.
- Return to oven for 3-5 minutes, to melt cheese and finish cooking potatoes.
- Remove and top with crumbled cooked bacon, sliced green onions and other toppings.
If you cook the bacon for these potatoes, use the bacon grease from the pan to brush the potato rounds (instead of using olive oil) - adds lots of great flavor!
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 466kcal Calories from fat 262|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 29g||45%|
|Saturated Fat 12g||60%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
** What was your favorite appetizer as a kid? How about now?