Potato salad is a summer picnic, potluck and BBQ staple. It’s cool on a hot day, it’s creamy and delicious, plus it’s loaded with potato goodness. I’m an admitted potato junkie. Love all the kinds, all the ways!
I’m a little shy when it comes to potato salad though. It’s usually way too creamy and heavy for me. I don’t want a mouthful of mayonnaise and nothing else.
And please, don’t make the egregious error of disguising my beloved potatoes! They are the namesake and the star of the dish; let them shine!
This version is just the right amount of creamy. And it has the right mix of tang from using half mayonnaise and half Greek yogurt – all about balance, right?
Also, I’m a fan of celery and green onions in my potato salad – I love the color, crunch and flavor they add. I’m not so big on hard-boiled eggs, however. But feel free to add those if it’s a must-have for you. It’s all about making it your own!
Take this easy potato dish to your next gathering – or just make it for your family one weekend when you’re having burgers or grilling out – and get to taste the potato in your potato salad.
Perfectly creamy potato salad
This potato salad is perfectly creamy, and lightened up using half Greek yogurt!
- 6-7 small (2-3-inch long or so) Yukon gold potatoes - you could also use 3 medium russet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar, divided
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (I use low-fat)
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (I use non-fat)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Cook whole potatoes in boiling salted water for 20-25 minutes, until almost tender. Be sure to use a big pot so they are in an even layer on the bottom.
- Drain and let cool slightly, until cool enough to touch. Slice the potatoes into 1/2-inch pieces and place in a large bowl. Pour 2 tablespoons of the white wine vinegar over the potatoes while they are still hot. Let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, stir mayo and Greek yogurt together until well combined. Add to potatoes along with remaining ingredients, including remaining teaspoon of white wine vinegar. Cover and chill for at least two and up to 24 hours. Stir occasionally.
- When ready to serve, taste and adjust seasonings.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 346kcal Calories from fat 147|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 16g||25%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||16%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
** What’s your favorite picnic side dish? Least favorite?