A perfectly creamy cheddar, corn and bacon potato salad using multi-colored potatoes for a red, white and blue side dish!
And in the summertime, potato salad is a staple. It’s great for picnics, BBQs, holidays and any night when you’re grilling out.
I love, too, that it’s make-ahead, so if we’re coming back from a day at the pool, it’s just ready for us while my husband throws some chicken or fish on the grill and I steam a vegetable. Ah, simplicity.
Today I’ve got a fun, patriotic red, white and blue version for you in this cheddar, corn and bacon potato salad. It’s loaded up with deliciousness and will satisfy with every bite.
The colors, to start, cannot be beat. Purple potatoes are one of my most favorite things in the world. Purple being my favorite color and potatoes being my favorite starch. Yes, you can use all regular potatoes but that just seems a little sad when you could have this beautiful mix instead. Just saying…
Beyond the colors, the flavor here is incredible! It’s perfectly creamy with the mayonnaise and Greek yogurt balance, plus a hint of acidity from the vinegar (my favorite trick for potato salad) and then the cheddar cheese adds another layer of creamy goodness that gets folded in along with some fresh summer corn.
You’ve also got some subtle spice and smokiness from the cayenne and paprika and the gorgeous crunchy, crumbled bacon piled up on top.
I’m not sure there’s a more appropriate side dish to serve for Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day or any of your summertime gatherings.
A few quick notes:
- Make sure your potatoes are all in an even layer in your pot when you cook them so that they cook through evenly. Also, don’t let them go too long. You want to be able to slice them without them falling apart into mush. Check starting at around 18 minutes, and every two minutes, until they are ready.
- I like to hit the cooked potatoes with vinegar while they’re still warm. They drink it in and it gives an easy depth of flavor that can’t be added in later.
- The bacon gets soft when mixed in and refrigerated with this potato salad, which I don’t really mind. You could save all of it to serve on top of the potato salad when you’re ready to eat or you can mix in half and reserve half, like I suggest here.
And, I must say, this cheddar, corn and bacon potato salad goes exceptionally well with my cheddar chicken burgers from Monday. I’ve got one more great summertime and Memorial Day recipe for you coming on Friday, so don’t miss it!
Also, don’t miss the Great Blogger BBQ round-up below! I’ve teamed up with some fellow food bloggers to bring you 50 recipe ideas for barbecue season, with everything from appetizers and drinks, to sides and mains to desserts! Let’s get to cooking!
Cheddar, corn and bacon potato salad
A perfectly creamy cheddar, corn and bacon potato salad using tri-colored potatoes!
- 2 lbs. red, white and purple potatoes mix (I used a mixed bag of fingerlings)
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar, divided
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup corn (fresh from about 2 cobs or corn or frozen corn, thawed)
- 4-6 slices bacon
- 4 green onions, chopped (light green and green parts)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (I use reduced-fat)
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt (I use non-fat)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- Cook whole potatoes in boiling salted water for 20-25 minutes, until almost tender. Be sure to use a big pot so they are in an even layer on the bottom.
- Drain and let cool slightly, until cool enough to touch. Slice the potatoes into 1/2-inch pieces and place in a large bowl. Pour 2 tablespoons of the white wine vinegar over the potatoes while they are still hot. Let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, cook and crumble your bacon and shred your cheese.
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, remaining teaspoon of white wine vinegary, sugar, paprika, salt, pepper and cayenne, if using. Stir until smooth.
- Place the cooled potatoes in a large bowl. Add corn, shredded cheddar cheese and about half of the bacon and green onions. (See notes.)
- Add the mayonnaise and Greek yogurt mixture and stir until everything is well coated. Refrigerate at least an hour and up to 24 hours.
- When ready to serve, top with the remaining bacon and green onions. Enjoy!
This potato salad is meant to be made ahead, so please plan accordingly.
The bacon that gets mixed into the potato salad before it gets refrigerated will soften. You can reserve all of the bacon until you are ready to serve if you want to ensure it all stays crispy.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 467kcal Calories from fat 292|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 32g||49%|
|Saturated Fat 10g||50%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||16%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
Oh, where to start?!
Cocktails and Drinks
Blackberry Gin Slush by The Speckled Palate
Homemade Lemonade by Winstead Wandering
Blood Orange Mocktail by Body Rebooted
Fleur Collins Cocktail by Hungry Girl por Vida
Fourth of July Sparkler by Mixplorology
Black Stripe Cold Rum Cocktail by Honey and Birch
Fresh Watermelon Mojito by Twin Stripe
Mint Hibiscus Lemonade by The Little Epicurean
Wine Slushy by Living Well Kitchen
Basil Gin Lemonade by Glisten and Grace
Salt Plate Shrimp by The Mexitalian
Jamaican Jerk Chicken Burgers by Simple and Savory
Roasted Vegetable Grilled Pizza with Garlic Herb Oil by Ciao Chow Bambina
Memphis Style Pulled Pork by Two Places at Once
Balsamic & Honey Chicken Skewers with Strawberry-Kiwi Salsa by No Spoon Necessary
Amazing Basic Spice Rub for Grilling by An Oregon Cottage
Mediterranean Chicken Kebabs by PasadenaDaisy
Smoked Porchetta Pork Loin by Tasty Ever After
Pressure Cooker Pulled Pork by Appeasing a Food Geek
Peach Barbecue Sauce by The Beach House Kitchen
Tuna Stuffed Sweet Peppers by SugarLoveSpices
Herb Marinated Steak Gyros Plates with Tomato-Onion Salad and Green Tahini Sauce by Feed Me Phoebe
Marinated Skirt Steak with Sweet Corn and Cherry Salad by Domesticate ME!
Sweet & Sour Chicken Kebabs by Tastefully Frugal
Caprese Pasta Salad by Club Narwhal
Cranberry Almond Broccoli Salad by Two Sisters Kitchens
Coconut Milk Mac & Cheese by A Little Gathering
Cherry Quinoa Salad by Food Lovin Family
Cheddar, Corn and Bacon Potato Salad by Family Food on the Table
Lemon Rocket Pasta Salad by Lauren Caris Cooks
Green Goddess Potato Salad by Love & Flour
Red White & Blue Watergate Salad by A Joyfully Mad Kitchen
Zesty Potato Skewers by Pamela Salzman
Quinoa Tabouli by A Fork’s Tale
Banana Pudding Ice Cream Cake by Feast + West
Strawberry Beer Floats by bethcakes
Cherry Cheesecake Dessert by The Little Blonde Baker
Light Berry Angel Food Cake by The Creative Bite
Lemon Cream Tarts with Berries by Girl Heart Food
Fresh Strawberry Muffins by Spiced
Lemon Pie Sundae by Flavours & Frosting
Strawberry Lemon Shortcakes by Dash of Herbs
Grasshopper Pie by 2 Cookin’ Mamas
Berry Mango Smoothie Pops by HÄLSA Nutrition
Mixed Berry Vanilla Bean Cake by Cake ‘n Knife
No Churn Cookies and Cream Strawberry Ice Cream by The Secret Ingredient Is
Coconut Blueberry & Vodka Ice Pops by Nik Snacks
Strawberry Key Lime Margarita Greek Yogurt Ice Pops by Beer Girl Cooks
Cherry & Rhubarb Tart by Crepes of Wrath