These BBQ chicken burgers require just a few basic ingredients and come out so juicy and flavorful! Serve with coleslaw for a delicious summer meal!
This post originally appeared on Real Housemoms, where I am a contributor.
Hello to Friday! We made it here again!
And I'm excited for this weekend because we are celebrating my baby boy!! J is turning 4 and not at all a baby but I'm not trying to think too hard about that. 😢
Instead I'm going to soak up his little blonde curls and his sweet snuggles and his happy, silly attitude every chance I get!
We're also hosting a handful of his best buds for a dinosaur party this weekend, so I'm hoping I survive that. My strategy is basically to keep all those boys outside as much as possible 😂
But on to the FOOD!
Confession: I have a serious adoration for chicken coated in BBQ sauce. In just about any form…
I recently shared my BBQ chicken quinoa salad bowls that are a great go-to for busy nights (and also work for a make-ahead lunch or picnic!)
And I’ll mix up some leftover grilled or rotisserie chicken with BBQ sauce and slap it on a sandwich or over a salad for a yummy lunch. Or just dip it and eat it straight.
So, so good. 😋
So of course I had to use those flavors for some BBQ chicken burgers! Cause we are in burger season and I am ALL about it.
And today's burgers come together with just a few simple ingredients and have ALL the summer tastes going on!
Other toppings include extra cheddar cheese and BBQ sauce, lettuce and tomato, quick pickled red onions or caramelized onions, possibly some avocado slices and any other burger fixings you love!
Also, be warned, these are messy! They are so juicy inside that you’ll have the juice all over your hands and maybe running down your mouth.
Just embrace it. It’s worth every dirty napkin. 😉
Notes on making BBQ chicken burgers:
- I cook my burgers in a pan more often than not - it’s right there and so fast - but you can grill these burgers too. Just be sure not to use a super high heat setting as ground chicken can burn rather quickly.
- You can use homemade BBQ sauce or your favorite store-bought variety. (Trader Joe’s has a couple that I like that don’t have high-fructose corn syrup or an overload of sugar.)
- If you can’t find ground chicken, you can make your own. Just add about a pound of raw boneless, skinless chicken breasts, roughly chopped, to a food processor and pulse until it’s broken up and resembles ground meat.
Or if you love this idea but want to use ground turkey, check out my BBQ turkey burgers.
Serve these BBQ chicken burgers with my perfectly creamy potato salad and easy, foolproof corn on the cob and you’ll be in for a delicious summer meal! Or try this light and zippy cucumber salad for a pairing.
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese, grated
- ¼ cup prepared BBQ sauce (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 4 burger buns
- Optional toppings: coleslaw, pickled red onions, extra cheddar, extra BBQ sauce
- Mix together burger ingredients in a medium bowl until combined. Do not overmix. Shape burger mixture into 4 equal sized patties.
- Heat canola oil over medium heat. Add the patties and cook 6-7 minutes, then flip and cook an additional 5-6 minutes, until cooked through.
- Serve on burger buns with desired toppings.
You can grill these if you prefer. But don't use a super high heat setting as ground chicken can burn rather quickly.
You can use homemade BBQ sauce or your favorite store-bought variety.
If you can’t find ground chicken, you can make your own. Just add about a pound of raw boneless, skinless chicken breasts, roughly chopped, to a food processor and pulse until it’s broken up and resembles ground meat.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 433Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 118mgSodium: 707mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 2gSugar: 11gProtein: 29g