This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Green beans Caprese is a quick and easy side dish loaded with bright, fresh flavors! The Caprese classic combo of tomatoes, mozzarella and basil is paired with lightly steamed green beans and topped with an easy homemade balsamic vinaigrette!
I’m always looking for new ways to liven up some of our favorite go-to vegetables.
And green beans need a little help, in my opinion. 😂
Broccoli? Steam and serve and I’m a happy lady. Spinach? Make it a salad or saute it and I’m all set.
Green beans are also on our regular rotation for a healthy vegetable side dish, but I tend to do more with them to add a little flavor.
(See my green beans with mustard butter sauce, green beans gremolata and Southern-style green beans with bacon and buttery breadcrumbs for other ideas!)
And this green beans Caprese, well, this takes them over the top! 💚
It’s basically a Caprese salad with lightly steamed green beans, all covered in a homemade balsamic vinaigrette dressing.
(You could of course use a store-bought version, but this one takes just minutes to make and shake up in a jar!)
And it’s so quick and easy to make!
Plus, you can make this green bean salad ahead of time and let it sit, so it’s perfect for summer picnics or potluck parties.
Beautiful and delicious? Sign me up!
- 3/4 pound fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1 large (or 2 medium) heirloom tomatoes, sliced
- 8-12 small mozzarella balls, in liquid, drained and sliced in half
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, julienned
- Balsamic vinaigrette (homemade, preferably)
- Steam green beans for 5-7 minutes, until tender but still bright green.
- Rinse green beans in cold water to stop the cooking process. Set aside.
- Make balsamic vinaigrette.
- Cut tomato in 1/4 inch slices and arrange on the outside of a plate.
- Cut mozzarella balls in half and sprinkle over tomato slices, reserving a few for the top of the green beans.
- Julienne basil (which just means rolling up the leaves and slicing them so they are in pretty strands) and sprinkle over tomato and mozzarella.
- Arrange green beans in the middle of the plate.
- Pour balsamic vinaigrette over the whole thing, reserving a bit to use for serving. Let sit to soak up the flavors.
- When ready to serve, top with the remaining vinaigrette.