I love having easy, go-to veggie side dishes when I’m trying to pull together a meal or pressed on time. This is a super fast side that uses the green beans in a bag from the grocery store. They are washed and prepped and can be steamed in your microwave. It’s nice having a little help, sometimes… an easy go-to in your fridge that helps you get dinner on the table without any stress or fuss.
Here’s how I pull it together: Pierce the green bean bag and steam them in the microwave for 3-4 minutes. While they’re going, saute the mushrooms in a pan with some olive oil for a few minutes.
Add the green beans once the mushrooms have started to brown and given up their moisture. Season everything with salt and pepper and voila! If you’re feeling fancy, add a tablespoon or two of butter at the end and let it melt over the beans and mushrooms. Completely optional but it gives it a little flavor boost and a silky richness.
Get the detailed rundown below and try this out the next time you need a fast, easy side dish for your dinner. Enjoy!
- 1 12-oz. bag steam-in-the-bag prewashed green beans
- 1 8-oz. package white button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
- Steam the green beans in the microwave according to the package directions (just don't go for the full time since you'll be sauteing them as well).
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil over medium heat in a pan.
- Saute the mushrooms for about 5 minutes, until they've browned and released most of their moisture.
- Add green beans, season with salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Add butter if desired. Serve hot.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 53 Total Fat: 4g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 8mg Sodium: 169mg Carbohydrates: 4g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 1g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 1g