Healthy granola muffins are 100% whole grain, naturally sweetened with no added sugar and make a perfect portable breakfast or healthy afternoon snack!
I first made these granola muffins back when it was summer and warm and glorious out.
My girlfriends and I had a spa date followed by some pool time to celebrate one of my friends finishing her masters degree. Yes, we know how to party! 💅👯♀️👙💕
I knew we’d probably want a little snack by the pool, so I packed us some of these healthy granola muffins.
Given that we would be in bathing suits and freshly lathered with all the yummy smelling soaps and lotions, I thought something on the lighter side was in order.
These granola muffins fit the bill! They are wholesome and delicious and part of any good detox routine. Except we were re-toxing with the mimosas we enjoyed poolside - whoops! 😂
These muffins are 100% whole grain, naturally sweetened, with no added sugar and no butter or oil. 🙌
I use my 5-ingredient granola that we love to have on hand for snacking. However, you can use your favorite homemade or store-bought granola to make these muffins.
You could even try them with a flavored granola (like my healthy citrus granola) to give them a bit of a different flavor.
And yes, I know it seems strange to stir crunchy granola into a muffin batter, but it doesn't make them crunchy. The granola softens as it bakes and just adds such a great flavor to the muffins.
How to enjoy healthy granola muffins:
- Have at breakfast with some fruit
- Take for an on-the-go snack
- Eat as a pre- or post-workout energy snack
- Serve at a brunch party
- Pack in the kids school lunch box
They freeze great, too, and make hectic mornings a breeze - just grab and go!
Also, a tip that I use with all of my healthy muffin recipes: I think it helps to use liners AND to spray them with a nonstick cooking spray.
It ensures all your glorious muffin deliciousness will stay together, and not get stuck to the pan or liners.
(I think it’s especially important in recipes like this that are lower in fat.)
I'm going to try my best this week to snag five quiet minutes and sit on the porch with one of these tasty, healthy muffins. Maybe I'll even close my eyes and pretend I’m back at the spa.
Sigh… so lovely.
Hope you can find a few minutes to savor these muffins, too.
- 1 ½ cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup honey
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups granola (see notes)
- Preheat oven to 400. Line a muffin tin with muffin liners. I also spray mine with cooking spray so they don’t stick. (Especially since this recipe doesn’t have butter or oil.)
- Mix the flour, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, mix the wet ingredients: yogurt, applesauce, honey, egg and vanilla. Stir well to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir to combine. Fold in the granola but be careful not to overmix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tins, filling about ⅔ full.
- Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes, until done. Let cool then store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. Freeze up to 6 months (see notes).
I use my easy 5-ingredient granola for these, but you can substitute your favorite kind of granola, homemade or store-bought.
These muffins, like most, freeze beautifully! I wrap them individually in a piece of aluminum foil and then place in a freezer ziptop bag for storing.
Serving Size:1 muffin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 184Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 14mgSodium: 196mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 3gSugar: 16gProtein: 6g