Flavorful, easy, bright lemon pepper chicken that you can make in the slow cooker or on the stove with just 5 ingredients, plus 5 ways to serve it!
Today’s recipe is all about options!
Options on how to cook it — hands-off and in the slow cooker or super quick and ready to serve from the stove — as well as lots of options of how to eat it.
It’s such a tasty, healthy recipe, and this way, you can eat it every week and never get bored!
Some days I have my stuff together and I get my slow cooker out and load it up in the morning and we’re ready to rock for dinner.
Other times, it’s almost dinner and I think, “Crap! I planned the meal, got all the ingredients and forgot to start the slow cooker!” Which is sad because the slow cooker version takes all of 5 minutes to prep.
Anyway, that’s why this lemon pepper chicken has two ways to make it. In case you’re like me and you feel like your brain is leaking some days…
(Am I the only one who stands in the shower and wonders, did I already shampoo and condition my hair? Just shampoo? Neither yet? Hmm…)
And bonus: whichever way you make it, you only need 5 ingredients! 🙌
Leaky brain or no, this is a simple, light and bright dinner that we love to eat year-round.
It’s got great fresh lemon flavors, the right amount of savory to balance and it’s seriously so easy to put together.
Now, I’ve got some notes, tips and substitutions coming up below. Just tryin’ to be helpful.
If you want to jump on down to the recipe, simply scroll right on through the rest of the text. The recipe card is near the bottom of the page, above the comments section.
Notes on making lemon pepper chicken:
- To make this in the crock pot, you just need to season your chicken breasts and add them to the crock pot, along with the other ingredients. Just 5 minutes to prep!
- I prefer to shred the slow cooker chicken once it’s finished cooking, but you could also serve it whole or just chop up the chicken.
- The skillet version takes just 15 minutes start to finish. I cut the chicken breasts into small, 1-inch sized cubes to help it cook more quickly and more evenly. It doesn’t take long, so be sure not to overcook the chicken.
- That said, the citrusy pan sauce also will help keep the chicken juicy. 👍
- Finally, I use store-bought lemon pepper seasoning, but have also wanted to try making my own homemade lemon pepper seasoning, so you can go that route if you’d like.
Now, let’s get talk serving options. Cause there are lots!
(I love options and love helping you make every meal your very own to suit your tastes and your family’s tastes!)
Ways to serve lemon pepper chicken:
- Serve over brown rice (here’s how I cook it perfectly) or couscous or quinoa to sop up all the juices. Just add a side of steamed broccoli or your favorite veggie.
- Serve alongside roasted potatoes (paprika roasted potatoes are especially tasty with this) and veggies. I like to drain most of the extra juices for this option.
- Serve the chicken in a wrap with lettuce and tomato. And my favorite addition to the mix when I eat it this way: my lightened-up 5 minute hummus. I like to use this option for the leftovers for lunch the next day.
- Or, toss with orzo or another pasta and any extra veggies for an all-in-one dinner or an easy light lunch.
- Use for a pulled chicken sandwich (mainly the shredded crock pot version for this). Everyone can top with their favorites: lettuce, tomatoes, even avocado. You can also use pesto or hummus as a spread on the bun – delicious! This is a great way to serve this to a crowd.
And a bonus 6th way: Use this chicken to make a pretty, yummy grain bowl!
Pick your favorite grain (farro and brown rice are my faves), add your chicken, add some steamed or roasted veggies, maybe some fresh veggies like baby spinach, and top it off with a dollop of hummus, a dollop of guac or drizzle with your favorite dressing or sauce.
Try it out and let me know your favorite way to serve this easy chicken dinner!
The slow cooker method makes a lot. If you freeze the extras, be sure to spoon some sauce into the bags - it keeps the chicken from drying out while frozen and while reheating. Serving ideas for lemon pepper chicken: As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Slow cooker version:
Slow cooker version:
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 418 Total Fat: 10g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 193mg Sodium: 927mg Carbohydrates: 6g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 4g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 71g
The slow cooker method makes a lot. If you freeze the extras, be sure to spoon some sauce into the bags - it keeps the chicken from drying out while frozen and while reheating.
Serving ideas for lemon pepper chicken:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.