This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
5 ingredients, 5 minutes. That’s all you need.
Homemade hummus is about the easiest thing to do. My “5 minutes” pretty much covers clean up as well. It’s just that easy!
This version doesn’t have olive oil, so it’s a lot lighter on calories. Yet it’s rich and creamy and so, so delicious.
I got the basic recipe from a friend whose father was Lebanese. We worked together in D.C. when I was in my hummus-every-day-at-lunch phase. She asked if I’d ever made my own hummus and gave me her family’s recipe. I bought my mini food processor for this very reason. It’s gotten a lot of use and made a lot of batches of hummus! Homemade is seriously superior.
You can adjust the lemon juice to your liking. I like it a little lemony – seems extra fresh. You could add some lemon zest if you want some serious lemon flavor.
And absolutely you can drizzle in some oil or serve it with a little puddle of oil in the middle of the bowl. Nothing wrong with that!
Serve this with your favorite fresh veggies, crackers, pretzels or use it as a spread for baguette slices or sandwiches. It’s so delicious, you’ll be looking for new ways to eat it!
Lightened up hummus
A super creamy, bright homemade hummus in 5 minutes!
- 1 1/2 cups chick peas, rinsed and drained (crock pot or store bought)
- 2 tablespoons water (or reserved liquid from chick peas)
- 1 1/2 tablespooons lemon juice (use less or more, to your liking)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Dump all your ingredients in a food processor and mix until smooth and super creamy. No really, that’s all! You can add extra water if you want to thin it out a bit more.
- Serve with fresh cut veggies, pita bread, crackers, pretzels - whatever you like! Or use it as a sandwich spread. Delicious!
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 12kcal Calories from fat 2|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
** What’s your favorite way to eat hummus?