Easy one-pan cheesy potatoes and green peas is a fast and delicious side dish the whole family will enjoy. A shortcut makes this easy to prepare and perfect for weeknight family dinners!
I hope you all had a fun weekend! The hubs and I were in D.C., visiting friends, without the kids in tow. It was such a fun time! A few highlights:
- We stayed in a hotel downtown, near where I worked when we lived there, and it was funny how familiar the city still feels all these years later. It was nice being back.
- We walked ALL over on Saturday and visited the National Gallery of Art and the Natural History museums. They were both fantastic!
- Lots of good drinks and eats! Both nights I ate mostly veggies for dinner to make room for all the tasty desserts we ordered to share. Good balance, right? 😉
- But I always love coming home and all the hugs and snuggles and kisses I got from M and J were much needed! It was nice to have some time away, but I sure did miss those kiddos!
And now, on to today's recipe!
I’ve gotta admit, I’m kind-of obsessed with this one-pan cheesy potatoes and green peas side dish.
I may or may not have eaten the WHOLE thing when I photographed this for you guys.
I mean, no one was home (husband at work, kids at school while I was working my day job but also taking advantage of natural lighting in the middle of the day) and it turned into my lunch. Times three. #dontjudge
You know by now that I love me some potatoes, and my easy microwave baked potatoes are my go-to. But potatoes in any form are kinda my jam.
And if you cover them in cheese and add a veggie? Well, I’m pretty much in heaven!
I could eat a whole bowl of this one-pan cheesy potatoes and green peas and be content. 😊 Oh right, I have totally done that…
But even better, it works on the kids, too!
So J, my now 3 ½-year-old, has always loved peas. He would go through bowlfuls as a baby and toddler. Couldn’t stop the little guy. I was in heaven. 💚
And while he’ll still take a few spoonfuls of plain peas, he’s not quite as enthusiastic. (The exception being the homemade baby and toddler squeezies I make with spinach, peas and pear.) And honestly, after the baby food stage, M was never super big on peas. At all.
Oh, the phases they go through... Mama’s just gotta try and keep up.
But when I mix some green peas with potatoes and cover it all in cheese? Well then, we ALL inhale these!
Hello, perfect easy side dish for a family dinner night! Just add some grilled or roasted chicken/pork/steak/what have you and you are all set. 👍
Notes on one-pan cheesy potatoes and green peas:
- I use regular Idaho potatoes and I leave the skin on. That’s just how I like it. You could peel your potatoes and you could also try switching it up with Yukon potatoes or red potatoes. You do you. 👍
- I pre-cook the potatoes so that they just need to get good and crisp in the pan. I microwave my potatoes because that’s my go-to, but you could boil yours first if you’d rather. Or even roast them.
- If you want more of a hash, you can mash your potatoes down in the pan for a few minutes on each side to get a sear on them. That would be tasty as well!
I hope this becomes a new go-to for you, like it is for us. Or sometimes, just for me. 😉
Have a great week!
P.S. Check out my new VIDEO for this recipe!
One pan cheesy potatoes and peas
Easy one pan cheesy potatoes and peas make the perfect side dish for your favorite grilled or roasted meat!
- 2 medium baking potatoes
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup peas thawed if frozen
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Microwave your baked potatoes until almost completely tender. It will take about 10-11 minutes for 2 medium potatoes. (See this post for details and tips on how to microwave a baked potato if it's your first time.) Let cool for a minute so they aren’t burning hot.
- Cut cooked potatoes into bite-sized cubes.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add butter and olive oil and heat until butter is melted.
- Add potatoes in a single layer, stir to coat then let cook for 3-5 minutes, until lightly colored on the bottom. Flip the potatoes over and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add peas and stir to heat through.
- Add salt, pepper and cheese and stir to combine and melt cheese.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
I use regular Idaho potatoes and I leave the skin on. You could peel your potatoes and you could also try switching it up with Yukon potatoes or red potatoes if you'd prefer.
I microwave my potatoes because that’s my go-to, but you could boil yours or even roast them.
If you want more of a hash consistency, you can mash your potatoes down in the pan for a few minutes on each side to get a sear on them.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 284Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 459mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 11g
Dawn - Girl Heart Food
Sounds like you had a lovely weekend (and lots of good eats, which is also good in my book)). And how smart of you to eat veggies so you could eat dessert 😉 It definitely is all about balance! Funny how kids tastes change like that from loving peas to not so much. Maybe it's just a phase. I love adding peas to dishes cause they add such a lovely 'pop' of flavour and colour and those crispy bits on those tatos? The best part. I can't blame you for eating this three times, lol 😀 I would have too! Happy Monday, my friend! XO
I love adding peas too - so I just keep doing it and the kids can pick around them if they want! Ha! Have a fabulous week Dawn! XO
Cheyanne @ No Spoon Necessary
I'm so glad you guys had a lovely time in DC! I've never been, but should I ever get a chance to make it up there, I'll be sure to ask you where to go! And eating veggies for dinner so you can indulge in all the dessert? Best move ever! I'm a 'taters for life type of chick too, so I could definitely eat this whole pan in one sitting! I mean, the peas balance out the cheese and potatoes.. right? 🙂 pinned of course! Cheers!
You know I love the way you think, don't you? 😉 And yup, potatoes for life! XXOO
Oh yum, I love potatoes like this! The crunchy ones are the best! Looks delicious!
So so good! Especially when they get a little dose of melty cheese on top!
This looks perfect, definitely trying it out for dinner tonight!
Yay! I hope you love it Bella!
Tara | Treble in the Kitchen
Your DC weekend sounds so fun!! I interned there and LOVED everything about the city 🙂 I have to visit!
Me too! I miss it... glad to be living where I am now but I'll always love DC!
Sounds like a wonderful weekend! And I could eat this on my own too, it looks delicious!
Whew, glad I'm not the only one! Thanks Adina 😊
Jennifer @ Show Me the Yummy
I LOVE cheesy potatoes!
Doesn't get much better, right?!
Kelsie | the itsy-bitsy kitchen
I would never judge you for eating this all by yourself. I'd do the same thing! There's just something about potatoes covered in cheese :). And I love the idea of adding peas. Sounds so perfect!
Haha, thanks Kelsie! I'm glad I'm not the only one 😉
Sounds like such a fabulous weekend! And I know my family would LOVE this!
Thanks Kristen! XO
Megan @ MegUnprocessed
Love the peas in there, so much extra flavor and color!
Yes! They give it such a great pop of color! 💚
Kate @ Framed Cooks
Isn't DC the best? I went to college there (Georgetown University! Go Hoyas!) and while it was the best, we sure could have used some of this chicken deliciousness in our cafeteria!
DC is totally the best! I will always love going back to visit!
Love this side dish, and I guess the green peas are the bonus here! Yum!
Thanks Hadia! 😊
Wow this looks amazing, such a wonderful combo!