This quick and easy chicken and black bean soup has a great depth of flavor but is ready in about 15 minutes! It’s great for a cozy, healthy dinner that’ll warm you right up!
Despite M having a fever late last week and despite a non-ideal weather forecast, we were able to squeeze in a camping weekend!
We had to make it just one night, instead of two, but we had a blast! The weather ended up being fine and M was of course recovered and feeling good by the time we left.
So we hiked, flew kites, threw the frisbee, did some camping arts and crafts, ate all the yummy campfire food (s’mores, of course included) and had such a fun family time in the mountains together. 🏕❤️
I especially loved sitting in one of our camp chairs, as the fire was dwindling out that night, looking up through the tall trees to the dark sky that was lit up by stars everywhere.
I don’t get those types of moments of peace and wonder very often and you can be sure I soaked it right up. #grateful
And to top it off, we came back on Sunday and my husband had tickets to go to the Carolina Panthers football game. It was exciting right to the end and we pulled out a win!
All so worth it, even if I’m starting the week a little bit exhausted… so let’s move on to some FOOD talk!
Today’s recipe is a long-time family favorite.
This easy chicken and black bean soup was a recipe that my mom gave me years ago and I’ve only slightly tweaked it since then.
The main change in this soup is my secret ingredient — refried beans! They add so much creaminess and flavor to the soup. You’d never know it only cooks for about 10 minutes because there’s such a great depth to the soup.
Both of my kids adore black beans and chicken, and so this was a natural for me to make for them. Well, at least once they were old enough. They didn’t quite understand soup when they were toddlers. 😂
But now we all dig in! And it’s fun to set out a bunch of different toppings and let everyone build their own bowl. ❤️
Notes on this easy chicken and black bean soup:
- I have used all kinds/colors of bell peppers here and they all work great. I just like it with the green so there’s a pop of green color in the soup. (They’re also usually the cheapest ones at the store.)
- I’ve also added in some chopped zucchini and that was good here too. You could also wilt in some spinach at the end if you wanted some more veggies in here. 💚
- To help make this recipe go quickly, chop your veggies and start them in the pan. While they sauté, prep your beans and chicken to add in when it’s time.
- I prefer to mash one of the cans of the black beans. It helps add a creamy consistency to the soup, I think, but you can skip it.
- I use just a regular store-bought salsa that’s on the chunky side. You could use a spicy salsa to add a little kick to this soup. I don’t recommend using a fresh salsa or pico de gallo, since you’ll be cooking it.
- This soup calls for pre-cooked chicken. I use a rotisserie chicken, but you could also bake or grill your chicken ahead of time if you prefer.
- This soup freezes and reheats great!
Oh, and don’t forget to add your favorite toppings! Cilantro, shredded cheese, a dollop of sour cream or Greek yogurt, tortilla chips, diced or sliced avocado, hot sauce, etc.
We love serving this with some of my easy cheesy cornbread muffins on the side. It’d also be great with a slice of cornbread or some fresh baked bread.
I hope this soup will warm you up on a chilly evening!
P.S. Check out all of my chicken recipes in under 15 minutes for other quick and easy weeknight dinners. And if you love soup like I do, don’t miss my cheesy chicken and broccoli chowder, healthy slow cooker chicken chili and my 15-minute easy turkey noodle soup.
Easy chicken and black bean soup
This quick and easy chicken and black bean soup has a great depth of flavor but is ready in about 15 minutes!
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion, diced
- 1 small green bell pepper, diced
- 3 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can refried beans (I use non-fat)
- 2 (14.5 oz.) cans black beans, rinsed and drained and half of the beans mashed with a fork
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 cups diced rotisserie chicken
- Shredded cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, sour cream or Greek yogurt, chopped fresh cilantro, avocado, hot sauce, etc.
Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper and cook for 5-6 minutes, until softened.
Add chicken broth and bring to a low simmer. Whisk in the refried beans until they are well incorporated.
Add beans, salsa and chicken and cook for 2-3 minutes, until warmed through.
Serve warm with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
I have used all kinds/colors of bell peppers here and they all work great. I just like it with the green so there’s a pop of green color in the soup. (They’re also usually the cheapest ones at the store!)
I’ve also added in some chopped zucchini and that was good here too. You could also wilt in some spinach at the end if you wanted some more veggies in here.
To help make this recipe go quickly, chop your veggies and start them in the pan. While they sauté, prep your beans and chicken to add in when it’s time.
I prefer to mash one can of the black beans. It helps add a creamy consistency to the soup.
This soup freezes and reheats great!
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 330kcal Calories from fat 94|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 10g||15%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 13g||52%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|