Roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon and chunks of red onion are an easy, super flavorful veggie side dish that everyone will love!
I love Brussels sprouts with or without bacon, but there’s no denying it’s a killer combination.
And roasted Brussels sprouts with bacon? Swoon…
All that caramelization, nuttiness and flavor that develops with the heat in the oven… so much flavor from such little buds. Plus they are tossed with some bacon and red onion and it all roasts together. Serious flavor going on.
(Bonus: Brussels sprouts are super nutritious.)
My husband actually prefers the shredded Brussels sprouts — like my balsamic Brussels sprouts.
But I converted him to whole roasted Brussels sprouts with this recipe. He loved it! I think it was the bacon, but hey, I’ll mark that down as a win.
(Plus they’re so much easier to prep this way. You can also check out Air Fryer Brussels sprouts – so easy and they get SO crispy!)
Speaking of my husband though, today is his birthday! 🎉
It’s a big one. Starts with a 4.
And let’s be clear, I’m LOTS younger. 😂 (OK, I’m no spring chicken but you need two hands to count the years between us so I’ll continue to emphasize LOTS. Indulge me.)
I’ve noted below that this recipe serves 4. As I suppose it does, or should. But not in my house.
The two of us can plow through this entire sheet pan of roasted Brussels sprouts for our side dish and don’t look back.
And if I’m going to be honest, I will eat the whole thing myself.
Like I did the first time I went to photograph this recipe and the light didn’t work out and I scrapped the photos. But oh, I ate all the Brussels sprouts. All of them. Called it lunch and was smacking my lips. 💋
And was not at all disappointed to have to re-shoot the recipe another day so I could do it again. Cause I ate them all up this time, too. I know, it’s slightly disturbing.
But for you normal people out there, this makes a perfect dinner side dish. The Brussels sprouts are rich and nutty with crispy edges, just the way they’re meant to be.
Simple, flavorful and irresistible. ❤️
But don’t invite me over because I’ll eat all of them and leave you none. #noshame
If you’re not already a fan, give Brussels sprouts another go. You will be a convert.
- 1 (1 lb.) bag of Brussels sprouts
- 3 pieces bacon, cut in 1/2 inch strips
- 1/2 small red onion, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Trim the stems of the Brussels sprouts and remove outer leaves. For smaller ones, you can leave them whole. If you have some large Brussels sprouts, cut them in half.
- Place in a bowl with sliced bacon and red onion. Season with olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder and red pepper flakes. (You can do this right on the baking sheet, too, if you’re lazy like me.)
- Spread evenly on the baking sheet and roast at 400 for 25 minutes, stirring after 15 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 90Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 419mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 4g