Roasted butternut squash apple soup is perfect for a cozy fall dinner! This soup is thick and filling and has a perfect background of sweetness and warm spices!
I'm keeping it short today...
I've been in Cleveland the last few days with some fellow food bloggers and oh my, we had the BEST time!
I promise to give you some more details soon and share some fun pictures - which you may have seen if you follow me on Instagram and watch my stories. I love doing IG stories!
But I'm trying to get back on track today and get caught up now that I'm home so let's move this right along!
Today we are combining two of my fall favorites: squash and apples!
And we’re doing it in SOUP form because, well, it's soup season now and I'm all about feasting on some soup!
This roasted butternut squash apple soup is hearty, thick and filling, and it has a great background sweetness and warm spices that permeate the whole soup. ❤️
Roasting the squash AND the apples really adds a whole extra layer of flavor.
It’s fall in a bowl, y’all!
And it’s perfect for a cozy dinner in!
You could also just top it with some of the fun toppings I get into below and have it be a light meal on its own.
One quick note: This soup does thicken as it sits, so if you want a thinner soup, just stir in some more chicken or vegetable stock or water to get it to your desired consistency. 👍
That's especially useful when reheating this soup. (It keeps and reheats very well!)
And now, your favorite topping freak (ME!) wants to share…
Toppings for roasted butternut squash apple soup:
- Roasted pumpkin seeds
- Finely diced raw apple
- Crumbled baked apple chips
- Croutons or oyster crackers
- Chopped fresh parsley or thyme
- Snippets of fresh chives
- Shredded cheddar cheese (I love apple + cheddar together)
- Crumbled goat or feta cheese
- Crumbled cooked bacon or cooked, crispy prosciutto
- A swirl of sriracha for a little heat
So many possibilities… makes my heart happy! ❤️
And makes me want to just keep eating this soup and adding all the fun toppings! 👌
I hope you have a fabulous weekend!
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into ½-inch pieces (about 6 cups)
- 2 red, sweet apples, cored and cut into ½-inch pieces (about 4 cups)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup water
- ¼ teaspoon ginger
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400.
- Place the diced butternut squash on one sheet pan and the diced apple on a second sheet pan.
- Season squash with 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Stir to get everything coated. Season apple with 1 tablespoon olive oil and stir to coat.
- Roast squash and apple for 25-30 minutes, until tender and browned.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil in a large stock pot or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Saute onion and celery for 6-8 minutes, until tender. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add chicken or vegetable stock and water and bring to a simmer.
- Once the squash and apple are roasted, add them to the pot. Add ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the soup until smooth. (Alternatively, transfer the soup mixture to a regular blender. Just be sure to cover the blender well and be careful with the hot liquids.)
- Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
- Serve with desired toppings (see notes) and enjoy!
Topping ideas: roasted pumpkin seeds, finely diced raw apple, crumbled baked apple chips, croutons or oyster crackers, chopped fresh parsley or thyme, snippets of fresh chives, shredded cheddar cheese, crumbled goat or feta cheese, crumbled cooked bacon, or a swirl of sriracha for a little heat.
This soup does thicken as it sits, so if you want a thinner soup, just stir in some more chicken or vegetable stock or water to get it to your desired consistency. This helps when reheating any leftovers, too.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 178Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 18mgSodium: 483mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 3gSugar: 9gProtein: 10g