Slow cooker honey mustard chicken takes just 5 minutes to prep and is great for an easy dinner or for meal prepping. Serve with rice or potatoes, as a sandwich or wrap or with a salad.
I watered my garden yesterday. This made me feel very accomplished.
And also a bit guilty.
It had probably been about two weeks. I keep forgetting about it! We moved to a new house this year and my garden has been relegated to a small plot that’s up against the house in the backyard.
I can’t even see it unless I’m ALL the way out in the backyard. And that’s usually when we’re playing in the afternoon and it’s not a good time to water. So I keep forgetting to do it. I also don’t weed. Ever.
Yeah, I’m pretty much the laziest and worst gardener ever. 😂
How are my plants doing, you ask?
Well, the basil and rosemary are troopers and look beautiful. The parsley wilts and looks dead but then perks up as soon as I give it some water. Sorry, parsley.
The peppers are actually OK – I’m about to have a haul of jalapenos. The tomatoes, however, have yielded nada. I don’t know if it’s my current neglect or if it’s because we waited way too long to stake them and ended up shoving all the branches into the cage, breaking some along the way. I know, shame on me.
As for this recipe, can we put honey mustard on all.the.foods and call it a day?
OK, good. Because if I don’t have time to water my garden, I don’t have a ton of time for cooking either some days. Slow cooker to the rescue!
I don’t know about you, but I think slow cooker meals can be disappointing sometimes.
Plenty of things just don’t hold up well in a slow cooker and sometimes it all just seems dull. I’ve found and created a few gems over the years and am always on the lookout for new ones that might be keepers.
Because you can’t beat the convenience of a slow cooker meal.
This honey mustard chicken is one of those super easy, throw it in and forget it type of crock pot recipes (my personal favorite). No pre-cooking or browning or even chopping needed here.
(You can even use frozen chicken breasts for this recipe. They can be a really affordable way to buy chicken, especially when the bags are on sale!)
And this honey mustard chicken is so versatile. Here’s a few of our favorite ways to serve it.
Serving ideas for slow cooker honey mustard chicken:
- You can serve the chicken with some of the extra sauce over brown rice, couscous, quinoa or even polenta. Pair it with a side salad or steamed or roasted broccoli and you’ve got a delicious meal.
- It’s also great over a fast baked potato. I like pretty much anything over a potato.
- Or sometimes we make honey mustard shredded chicken sandwiches. Pile the chicken on a burger bun and add your favorite fixings – mayo, some lettuce and tomato, even some bacon or avocado slices. YUM!
- Or put the shredded chicken in a whole wheat wrap with some broccoli slaw and roll it up for a delicious, light lunch.
You can also use this slow cooker chicken as a protein for a salad or grain bowl. This is a great way to use leftovers or to have it on hand throughout the week if you’ve meal prepped it over the weekend.
One easy crock pot chicken recipe, endless possibilities… which is why I usually double the recipe and eat on it all week or freeze some of the extra for another night.
Oh, and it freezes great!
Tip: Freeze the extras with plenty of the sauce from the slow cooker. That will help keep it moist when you defrost it and reheat it to serve later.
Add this to your regular rotation and you’ll be happy you let your slow cooker make you dinner.
- 2.5 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- Optional: an extra tablespoon each of Dijon and whole grain mustard
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper and add to crock pot.
- Whisk remaining ingredients together in a small bowl until well combined. Pour over the chicken in the crock pot.
- Cook on high for 3-4 hours (or low for 6-8 hours). If possible, stir it around somewhere halfway through the cooking time. Don’t worry if you’re not there to do this part.
- Once it’s cooked, remove the chicken breasts and shred with two forks (or in a stand mixer if you have one).
- Return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker and stir it in with the sauce to get everything coated. If you like it extra mustardy, like me, add the extra tablespoon each of Dijon mustard and whole grain mustard. Gives it a nice punch of flavor!
- Let the chicken sit in the slow cooker on warm for 10-15 minutes to help soak up the juices. Serve and enjoy!
You can easily double this recipe so you have one batch to eat now and one batch to freeze and eat later.
If freezing, freeze the cooked shredded chicken with some of the sauce so it will stay moist when you defrost it and heat it up.
This chicken is great served with brown rice, quinoa, couscous or even polenta. It's also great as a sandwich or wrap or as a protein for a salad or grain bowl.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 370Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 161mgSodium: 726mgCarbohydrates: 13gFiber: 1gSugar: 12gProtein: 60g