Smashed edamame salad is like the chickpea version but even lighter - perfect on its own or in a sandwich or wrap for an easy, healthy lunch! (Vegan and gluten-free.)
I'm a little nervous and a little excited about our weekend plans...
Aside from some friend get togethers and a birthday party, we're hoping to take our kids to Carowinds, our local amusement park for the first time.
Our kids... who sometimes freak about the carousel at the zoo. Our kids who melted down during the stationary chairs (that admittedly feel like they're moving) at a Christmas performance. And our kids, mostly our daughter (the oldest!), who doesn't like the "scary" parts in movies like Frozen and Beauty and the Beast. 😳
Yup, we're crazy. But they think they want to go to Disney World next year and we're hoping to slowly build up to that by testing the waters closer to home. Cross your fingers for us!
But on to today's deliciousness!!
I gotta say, I haven’t been addicted to a recipe like this one in a long time. No kidding, I’ve made it 5 or 6 times in the past month.
Just don’t ask my husband to corroborate that story. He knows nothing about this recipe because I hide it and eat it ALL myself! #selfishfoodie
I just can’t get enough! #noshame
It’s not really his style anyway. Or at least, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it. 😜
This smashed edamame salad is tangy, creamy, fresh, bright and crunchy. Everything you want and more!
I’ve eaten the entire recipe below by myself for dinner, I’ve spaced it out over a couple of days at lunch, I’ve snuck bites from the fridge… I just keep going back for more and more!
It’s basically a riff on a chickpea smashed salad (sometime called a vegan tuna salad, which I don’t really understand because there’s no seafood/fish flavor).
Anyway, I wanted to try an edamame version because it’s lower in calories, pretty with it’s pale green color and oh so nutritious!
And let me just say, it was the right move. (Oh I do have recipe fails. Plenty of them. But this was a serious win from the first day!)
Serving ideas for smashed edamame salad:
- Make a sandwich with lettuce, tomato and red onion -- or your favorite toppings! -- for an easy, yummy lunch.
- Make a wrap with this edamame salad and some fresh spinach or romaine, topped with a sliced tomato. Or make a lettuce wrap for a low-carb option!
- Use it as a salad dip with some other cut veggies or crackers.
- Serve open-faced on toast. You could top it with some sliced avocado or a fried egg. 🥑🍳
Ways to customize this edamame salad:
- I used matchstick carrots but you could finely chop a regular carrot or baby carrots.
- You could fold in some diced fresh tomatoes for a juicy pop.
- You can top this with sliced avocado or you could mash in ½ an avocado with the salad.
- I love some extra cracked black pepper on top. And sometimes some hot sauce too!
I hope you give this a try and become addicted right along with me!
And if you love an original smashed chickpea salad, check out this smashed chickpea and avocado salad sandwich or this yummy mixed chickpea salad or this herby Mediterranean chickpea salad. Let's have salad for days!
Have a fabulous weekend my friends!
And be sure check out the VIDEO I made for this recipe!
- 1 ½ cups edamame, cooked and cooled
- ½ cup carrots, finely chopped
- ¼ cup red onion, finely chopped
- ¼ cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt (or sub mayo)
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- juice of 1 lemon
- dash of garlic powder
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- Mash the cooked and cooled edamame with a fork until mostly broken down. It’s fine to have some chunky pieces - use whatever texture you prefer.
- Mix the edamame with the remaining ingredients in a medium bowl until well combined.
- Serve as desired! (See notes.)
The edamame for this recipe needs to be cooked and cooled, so please plan accordingly.
You can serve this as a salad, as a dip for crackers and crudite, or pile it on a sandwich or wrap with your favorite toppings.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 170Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 211mgFiber: 7gSugar: 7gProtein: 13g