The yummy flavors of homemade turkey tacos in a beautiful, healthy salad – and tons of ways to customize it!
Who else can’t get enough of taco night?!
The tastes can’t be beat, the flavor combinations are endless and there’s a hundred fun toppings you can add. (Y’all know me and my obsession with toppings!)
I also just love the process of creating and assembling the tacos. Getting just the right amount of every ingredient so each bite is perfect.
But sometimes I want tacos without the actual taco. 🌮
So we do his and hers versions of taco salad in our house. 👍
Mine is a big base of lettuce (usually spinach around here), topped with a bit of rice, lots of the taco turkey and peppers mix and all my favorite taco toppings: cheese, Greek yogurt, salsa or diced fresh tomatoes. You could add on some avocado slices or even crumble up some tortilla chips too.
My husband’s version starts with a large bed of rice, topped with the turkey-pepper mixture and the lettuce, tomatoes, Greek yogurt and other options as toppings.
It’s sort-of a build your own.
Other variations on taco salad to try:
- You could add some black beans to bulk up the meal a bit. Mix them with the hot steamed rice or stir them into the turkey and pepper mixture once it’s all cooked.
- Alternatively, you could skip the rice and serve this over lettuce or in lettuce wraps as a lighter and low-carb salad option.
- Or wrap up your salad in a tortilla and have a delicious burrito. (This is my favorite way to eat the leftovers!)
- I usually just do salsa and toppings, but I’m gonna check out this creamy taco salad dressing next time we make these. (Which will be soon!)
- Final note: You want leftovers. You really want to have leftovers. Hide some before you serve it if you must. 😉
Any way you make it though, you’re eating your favorite taco flavors in a lighter way and with extra veggies. Score!
- 1 heaping cup brown rice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped bell peppers (multi colored if you have them)
- 1 to 1.25 pounds ground turkey (or you could sub ground beef)
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning**
- 3-4 cups chopped lettuce, for serving
- Optional toppings: chopped tomatoes, sliced avocado, chopped green onions, chopped cilantro, shredded cheese, Greek yogurt (or sour cream), salsa, chopped olives, sliced jalapeños, crushed tortilla chips
- Cook brown rice.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add bell peppers and sauté for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Move bell peppers to edge of pan and add ground turkey to middle of pan. Cook 5-7 minutes, turning and breaking up with a spoon, until the turkey is cooked through.
- Sprinkle everything with taco seasoning, add 2-4 tablespoons of water and mix it all together.
- Once simmering, turn the heat down to low and continue cooking for 5-10 minutes to let all the flavors meld together.
- Assemble your salads as desired with either a base of rice or of lettuce. Add the turkey-pepper mixture and finish with your favorite toppings.
**Use store bought or make your own homemade taco seasoning.
See below for some variations to try.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 631 Total Fat: 37g Saturated Fat: 9g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 24g Cholesterol: 159mg Sodium: 582mg Carbohydrates: 31g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 9g Sugar: 7g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 47g