Ground turkey tacos with homemade taco seasoning are quick and easy to make and a healthier, lighter take on taco night.
Taco night is a regular fixture in our house. It’s easy, fast, yummy and it never fails to satisfy.
Plus, everyone can fix their tacos just as they please, so it works for families that have varying tastes or picky eaters.
I use ground turkey for my tacos, but you could also substitute ground chicken, which I've done before. And of course, you can use ground beef or use a combination of ground beef and turkey if you prefer.
I also use homemade taco seasoning - I make a big batch every couple of months so it’s always there in the pantry. It's SO easy and so much more fresh and flavorful than store-bought. It's also lots healthier and doesn't have any strange ingredients.
I use taco seasoning on my cheesy fiesta grilled chicken, too - an easy way to bring some extra fun and flavor to grilled chicken.
But I won’t tell if you want to sub in the stuff from a packet in a pinch. Whatever you got!
Just regular, basic turkey tacos are our go-to version for taco night, but here a few variations to try if you want to change things up a bit.
Ground turkey taco variations:
- Add black beans to the rice to make a more hardy meal.
- Shred some zucchini into your taco mix. An easy way to sneak in some veggies and it doesn't change the flavor at all.
- Or add in some fresh, frozen or canned corn with the ground meat mixture.
- Serve the taco turkey in lettuce wraps for a lighter version.
- Use soft shell corn or flour tortillas instead of the hard shells.
- Change up your cheese. Instead of cheddar, try Monterey Jack, Jalapeño Jack or a mix of cheeses.
Lots of options to keep taco night new and fun!
And if you're looking for a lighter option to mix into the rotation, check out these healthy taco salads.
And of course, don't forget the toppings. Never forget the toppings when it comes to tacos!
Topping ideas for turkey tacos:
- Shredded lettuce
- Shredded cheese
- Salsa or pico de gallo
- Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- Chopped pickled jalapeños
- Sliced avocado
- Pickled red onions
Or any of your other favorite taco toppings. 😊
I hope you give these turkey tacos a try soon. Enjoy!
- 1 cup brown rice (see notes)
- 1 or 1.25 lbs. lean ground turkey (such as 93% lean)
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 8-10 soft or crunchy taco shells
- Shredded lettuce, shredded cheese, salsa, Greek yogurt (or sour cream), chopped pickled jalapeños, sliced avocado, chopped black olives
- Cook brown rice according to package instructions.
- While rice is cooking, preheat oven to 325 for taco shells (or follow package instructions).
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Add ground turkey. (I don’t use olive oil or cooking spray and have no problems with sticking.) Cook on one side until browned then turn over and cook on other side while breaking up with a spatula.
- Once turkey is cooked through, sprinkle taco seasoning and add about ⅓ cup water. Less if your turkey rendered a lot of moisture/fat, a bit more if it didn't. Turn the heat down to low and simmer for 5 minutes or until most of the water is absorbed.
- Assemble tacos: Layer brown rice and taco turkey mixture in your taco shells and top with your favorite toppings.
We prefer brown rice but white rice is fine too. Or you can skip the rice if you don't want to use it in your tacos.
You can use a packet or make your own homemade taco seasoning (so easy and so flavorful).
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 734Total Fat: 42gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 26gCholesterol: 159mgSodium: 765mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 8gSugar: 3gProtein: 46g