Cheesy fiesta grilled chicken is quick and easy to make with just 3 ingredients, comes out so juicy and flavorful, and can be dressed up with fun toppings!
Grilled chicken is a summertime go-to favorite for most of us. And this cheesy fiesta-style grilled chicken really kicks things up a notch!
It’s so easy, too. Just season your chicken breasts with taco seasoning, grill, add some shredded cheese at the end and then top with your favorites.
Those are definitely ingredients I always have on hand, so this is my go-to grilled chicken. Can’t beat the flavor and it’s really just 3 ingredients. 👍
(Oh, and while I use homemade taco seasoning, you can substitute store-bought, no problem.)
This chicken is great for a party because everyone can dress it up just how they want. Create a little fiesta chicken bar. It works great for kids, too, for the same reason.
And it’s gluten-free, low-carb and keto-friendly as is.
(Check out these 10 favorite easy grilled chicken recipes for more grilling deliciousness!)
Now, I’ve got some notes, tips and substitutions coming up below on how to make fiesta grilled chicken. Just tryin’ to be helpful.
If you want to jump on down to the recipe, simply scroll right on through the rest of the text. The recipe card is near the bottom of the page, above the comments section.
Notes on fiesta grilled chicken:
- Homemade taco seasoning or store-bought is fine here, as I mentioned.
- You can use shredded cheddar cheese (that’s what I have here – it’s a white cheddar) or you could substitute Monterey Jack, Colby Jack or even Pepper Jack for a little kick.
- It helps to make sure you are using small, evenly sized chicken breasts so that they cook evenly on the grill.
- Be sure to check the temperature (we love a digital thermometer) and remove the chicken from the grill when it hits 160. Let it rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing or serving so that it retains its juices.
And let’s get to the other fun part of this recipe: the toppings!
Here are just a few ideas to get you started.
Toppings for cheesy grilled chicken:
- Sliced or diced avocado or a dollop of guacamole
- Salsa or pico de gallo
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Crushed tortilla chips
- Greek yogurt or sour cream
- Jalapeno slices
- Pickled red onions
- Hot sauce or sriracha
Now that your chicken is topped and ready to go, let’s round out the rest of the meal.
What to serve with grilled chicken:
– This cheesy grilled chicken goes great with a colorful, crunchy side salad or some roasted veggies. It’s also delicious with a super-quick sautéed corn and pepper salad. Fresh and delicious.
And I have to say, leftovers are awesome! You definitely want leftovers.
Ideas for leftover grilled chicken:
– Leftover grilled chicken will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can also freeze it for up to 3 months.
– Slice the leftover chicken and use on top of a salad or in a tortilla for a lunch wrap.
– Use diced leftover grilled chicken for tacos, burritos or burrito bowls or in enchiladas.
– Top a grain bowl with some sliced or diced chicken.
– Make a quick chicken skillet with the leftovers and some onions and bell peppers, black beans and corn and any desired toppings. Serve as is or over a bed of rice. Add cheese, avocado, salsa, etc.
So be sure to make extra of this chicken. You will find ways to use it. 😊
Whatever you do, try this out soon. It’ll be your family’s new favorite grilled chicken recipe!
Enjoy and happy grilling!
- 4 (6-7 oz.) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese (cheddar, Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack)
- Sliced avocado or guacamole, crumbled tortilla chips, sliced jalapeños, salsa or pico de gallo, chopped fresh cilantro, pickled red onions, sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Preheat your grill on medium-high heat.
- Rub both sides of the chicken breasts with oil and sprinkle evenly with taco seasoning.
- Grill chicken over medium-high heat for 10-15 minutes, flipping once. (Grill time will depend on how thick your chicken breasts are.) Meanwhile, get your toppings prepped.
- A couple of minutes before they are done, top the chicken breasts with the shredded cheese to allow it to melt.
- Once cooked, remove the chicken breasts from the grill and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes. Add your favorite toppings and enjoy!
It helps to make sure you are using small, evenly sized chicken breasts so that they cook evenly on the grill.
Be sure to check the temperature (we love a digital thermometer) and remove the chicken from the grill when it hits 160. Let it rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing or serving so that it retains its juices.
Homemade taco seasoning is great, but you can also use a store-bought packet.
Leftover grilled chicken will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can also freeze it for up to 3 months. It's great to use for salads, wraps, grain bowls, or in tacos or burritos or enchiladas.
To reheat, slice and warm in the microwave for 20-30 seconds.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 245Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 402mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 19g
This post has been updated with new photos. It was originally published in May 2015.