Okra and tomatoes are some of the South’s summer stars for veggies. And they go unbelievably well together.
Okra, as I have mentioned before, does not have to be fried and does not have to be slimy. A quick saute does the trick in my skillet okra, corn and tomatoes recipe. But here, I’ve opted for a fast roasted okra in the oven, and the okra stays whole. If you’ve never had it this way, you gotta try it!
The okra gets charred and a bit crispy, while being perfectly tender on the inside and no trace of slime. The tomatoes shrivel and char up a bit and become a little ball of juicy just waiting to burst right in your mouth. It’s a great combination of textures with a deep flavor. Roasting is a beautiful thing that way. Easy, hands-off and a sure-fire delicious option for so many things, veggies included.
Fast, healthy and delicious. Try this whole roasted okra and tomatoes at your table soon!
- 1 pound okra, tops cut off
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 450. Meanwhile, trim your okra and combine all of the ingredients in a bowl. (Or be lazy like me and dump everything onto the roasting pan and toss it with your hands. Fewer dishes.)
- Roast the okra and tomatoes for about 10 minutes, then shake the pan to help the veggies rotate a bit for even charring and roast for another 5 minutes.
- Serve hot!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 69Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 275mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 3g
**Are you an okra lover? What’s your favorite way to eat it?