This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Winter kale salad with pomegranates, feta cheese, walnuts and an easy citrus dressing is perfect for a bright, fresh side dish or light lunch and can be prepped ahead for a healthy week!
Who’s ready to start things off fresh again this week?
I know I’m still full steam ahead with the veggies and lightened up dishes and the not drinking. You know I love me some bourbon and also red wine, but I’m just over it for a little while.
So yup, I’m drying out for a bit and cleaning things back up. It’s a new year and I want to get back to the regular me!
And today’s recipe is another demonstration of my undying love for delicious, healthy salads.
Summer salads, rice salads, spinach salads, kale salads, chopped salads, even tuna salads and spinach salads — you name it, I want it!
And today’s winter kale salad with pomegranates and feta cheese is the perfect way to freshen things up during these cold, dark days.
It’s also great for hitting refresh in the new year and making sure you get tons of veggies and healthy fresh foods.
If you’ve never had a massaged kale salad, don’t fret about the kale being raw. Once you add some dressing and rub the chopped kale and allow it to sit, it gets completely tender and so delicious.
Then I add some bright sweet pops with the pomegranate arils, a hit of salty feta cheese (which is optional if you are dairy-free), some toasted walnuts and a gorgeous dressing that takes just a couple of minutes to make!
I love that you really can taste the orange flavor in this dressing. Using both the zest and the juice means that flavor really pops!
A few notes on this winter kale salad with pomegranates:
- I’ve made this without the feta before, for a group that included some dairy-free folks, and it was still delicious. You could also substitute goat cheese if you prefer.
- I always have walnuts on hand and I think they work great here, but you could substitute pecans or even almonds if you prefer.
- If making ahead, store the massaged kale, remaining ingredients and dressing separately in the fridge for up to 1 day. (The walnuts can sit out at room temperature.) Combine when ready to serve.
Serve this massaged winter kale salad as is for a light lunch or pair it with a lean protein for a healthy dinner. 👍
Which is all I need all month long after the holiday season!
Wishing you a happy, healthy week!
Love salads as much as I do? Check out some of my other favorites:
- Kale quinoa salad (Family Food on the Table)
- Smashed edamame salad (Family Food on the Table)
- Healthy chicken, orange and kale salad (Reluctant Entertainer)
- Warm kale salad with caramelized onions and mushrooms (Cookin Canuck)
- Mediterranean chopped salad (Family Food on the Table)
Winter kale salad with pomegranates and feta cheese
Winter kale salad with pomegranates, feta cheese, walnuts and an easy citrus dressing is perfect for a bright, fresh side dish or light lunch!
- 1 bunch kale, with leaves removed from stems and finely chopped
- 1 pomegranate, seeded
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
For the citrus dressing
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice (zested first)
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- zest of 1 orange
To make the dressing: combine all ingredients in a small jar, cover and shake. Alternatively, you can use a whisk and mix this up in a bowl.
Massage the chopped kale with 1/2 of the dressing and rub the leaves with your fingers until they’re thoroughly coated. Let the kale sit for 30 minutes (or up to a day in the fridge).
Meanwhile, prep the remaining salad ingredients.
Add the remaining ingredients to the kale. Add the remaining dressing, mix thoroughly and serve immediately.
I’ve made this without the feta before, for a group that included some dairy-free folks, and it was still delicious. You could also substitute goat cheese if you prefer.
I use walnuts, but you could substitute pecans or even almonds if you prefer.
If making ahead, store the massaged kale, remaining ingredients and dressing separately in the fridge for up to 1 day. (The walnuts can sit out at room temperature.) Combine when ready to serve.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 298kcal Calories from fat 178|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 20g||31%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||20%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||24%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|