I’ve got another it’s-good-for-breakfast-snack-dessert-anytime treat for you today! These whole grain banana oat cookies are seriously light (no butter or oil), seriously moist and seriously tasty.
And you can add chocolate chips!
Plus these cookies are oh so easy. Just stir up the dry mixture, the wet mixture, add them together and bake. It’s cookie time!
I’ve made the mini chocolate chips optional.
You may be thinking, why in the world would I not add the chocolate chips? Good point. I only recommend skipping the chocolate if you’re serving these to toddlers. Or if you want to pack these and have them not get melted while traveling.
Or if you for some reason are not OK with having chocolate for breakfast. In which case, we should maybe part ways because I routinely eat chocolate oatmeal, my chocolate strawberry overnight oats and healthy chocolate pancakes.
And of course, my pumpkin baked oatmeal with chocolate chips in the fall. Sometimes in the spring and summer too 😉
These cookies are also great with a little peanut butter smeared on top. Peanut butter and banana? Peanut butter and chocolate? Peanut butter and banana and chocolate?
Yes, yes and yes. You could even do nutella. Wow.
And of course — and please tell me you saw this coming from that picture above — they make excellent cookie sandwiches. Peanut butter, nutella or ice cream in the middle – let your imagination run wild!
These cookies freeze great, too, so you can stick any extras in the freezer and have a quick breakfast or snack on hand anytime. You may want to double the recipe for this very reason.
The next time you have some ripe bananas on hand, try these scrumptious little cookies. Hope you love them!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour (I used white whole wheat flour)
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate-sized medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the mashed bananas, applesauce, honey and vanilla and stir well to combine.
- Add the wet ingredient to the dry and mix to combine. Don’t overmix.
- Add the mini chocolate chips, if using. (Or you can divide the batter and stir chocolate chips into half.)
- Place a spoonful of dough onto a cooking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silpat.
- Bake at 375 for 15 minutes, until lightly golden brown.
- Remove from tray and allow to cool (on the parchment paper or on some wax paper).
- Once cooled, store in the fridge. They also freeze great - just throw in a labeled freezer bag once they are cooled.
Serving Size:1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 96Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 84mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 2gSugar: 11gProtein: 2g