Slow cooker Mediterranean chicken is quick and easy to prep and bursting with bright, healthy flavors. This meal is loaded with tomatoes, artichokes and olives and goes great with rice or couscous.
(Note: This post has been updated with new photos and a new video. Minor changes and additions have been made to the text. The post was originally published in June 2015.)
Hello again friends!
I've got a great recipe for you today, originally made for me by my mother-in-law when we were visiting them in Florida. We always have so much we want to do and see while we're there that a hands-off, low-key meal is a must.
And that's exactly why I love crock pot meals -- they are super hands off.
My slow cooker apricot chicken and slow cooker balsamic chicken are regular go-tos all year long. And I make my slow cooker Mexican shredded chicken all the time to use for rice bowls, tacos, nachos and more.
And when it's chilly out, this cozy slow cooker chicken stew always warms me right up.
I especially love slow cooker recipes like today's that are super hands off.
Just add all of your ingredients, turn it on and get on with your day! Dinner is waiting for you later, which is a glorious thing.
And this slow cooker Mediterranean chicken is a complex medley of flavors. No boring, bland crock pot cooking here!
But despite having some heavy-hitting ingredients — tomatoes, olives, curry powder — everyone places nice together and it all melds into a delicious mix.
It must be all that time spent together cooking away. Gotta love a long simmer that develops ALL the flavor and yet is so hands-off!
You will catch a whiff of olives in the air while this is cooking. Not overpowering, just enough of a hint to whisk you away to a field of olive trees in Italy.
It’s divine. Go with it.
Notes on slow cooker Mediterranean chicken:
- I use canned whole tomatoes for this recipe. I drain them and then just use a knife to cut them up in the can a bit so they aren't so huge. They break down further while cooking. You could sub diced tomatoes as well, just be sure to drain them well.
- Once it's cooked, you can either slice or shred your chicken for this recipe. Then you'll mix it back in with the other ingredients so it can soak up some of those lovely juices.
- I recommend that you use a slotted spoon to serve it from the crock pot so you can more carefully control how much of the liquid you get. You don’t want it too dry, but you also don’t want soup.
Finally, a sprinkling of fresh parsley (or cilantro) helps add some freshness and brightness to the finished dish.
You could use a squeeze of lemon in a pinch if you prefer. Just helps wake up the flavors after they have been slow cooking for so long.
As is, this is low-carb and gluten free. You can keep it that way by serving it with cauliflower rice or spaghetti squash.
We also love serving this Mediterranean chicken over steamed brown rice, and you could also use couscous, quinoa or even polenta.
Or serve it with a hunk of crusty bread.
You'll just want something to help soak up some of that sauce. 😍
Beyond the fresh herbs, you can also sprinkle the finished dish with some crumbled feta cheese. Pine nuts or slivered almonds would add a fun crunch if you have those on hand.
(Pssst... this also pairs great with a nice glass of your favorite red or white wine. 🍷🙌)
Whatever you do, take this journey to the Mediterranean for your next weeknight dinner. It’s as easy as it gets and you can't beat the flavor!
P.S. Check out my other slow cooker chicken recipes for more easy dinner ideas!
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 heaping tablespoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (28 oz.) can whole tomatoes, mostly drained and chopped a bit (see notes)
- 2 (14-oz.) cans quartered artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ cup kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup fresh parsley or cilantro, chopped, to garnish
- Place chicken breasts in the insert of the slow cooker.
- Combine the curry powder, basil, thyme, salt and pepper and stir well. Season the chicken with half of the seasoning mixture.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker (except for the fresh parsley) and sprinkle in the remaining seasoning mixture.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours (or on high for 3-4 hours).
- Once finished, remove the chicken breasts and either chop them or use two forks to shred the chicken. Stir the chicken back into the slow cooker mixture to help soak up the juices and flavors for 5-10 minutes. Then you can serve or let it hang out on warm for up to 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve over couscous, brown rice, quinoa or whole wheat pasta.
I use canned whole tomatoes for this recipe. I drain them and then just use a knife to cut them up in the can a bit so they aren’t so huge. They break down further while cooking. You could sub diced tomatoes as well, just be sure to drain them well.
I recommend that you use a slotted spoon to serve it from the crock pot so you can more carefully control how much of the liquid you get. You don’t want it too dry, but you also don’t want soup.
If you are a real olive lover, add an extra ¼ cup of chopped olives to the crock pot. Or, reserve them as a garnish to really get their full flavor.
This freezes great, so you can pack up the extras, once cooled, and store them away for a rainy day.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 305Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 129mgSodium: 554mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 49g