This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
An easy slow cooker meal bursting with bright, healthy Mediterranean flavors, requiring just a few minutes of prep!
Watch this video to see how super easy this meal is to make:
Hello again friends! I’ve got a great recipe for you today, originally made for me by my mother-in-law when we were visiting them in Florida. We always have so much we want to do and see while we’re there that a hands-off, low-key meal is always in order.
Which is exactly why I love crock pot meals — they are super hands off. Even lovelier are the ones where you just throw everything in the insert, set it and get on with your day. You know, versus the recipes where you have to brown meat or chop a bunch of things or otherwise work at it. Cause I don’t always have the time or patience for that!
This slow cooker Mediterranean chicken is a complex medley of flavors. But despite having some heavy-hitting ingredients — tomatoes, olives, curry powder — everyone places nice together and melds into a delicious mix. Must be all that time spent together cooking away.
You will catch a whiff of olives in the air while this is cooking. Not overpowering, just enough of a hint to whisk you away to a field of olive trees in Italy. It’s divine. Go with it.
A few notes on this slow cooker Mediterranean chicken:
- I served this with couscous here but it’s also wonderful over brown rice. You could even do pasta or quinoa. All alone it’s gluten-free and low-carb, so you can just have it that way if you prefer.
- I recommend that you use a slotted spoon to serve it from the crock pot so you can more carefully control how much of the liquid you get. You don’t want it too dry, but you also don’t want soup.
- A sprinkling of fresh parsley (or even cilantro) helps add some freshness and brightness to this finished dish. I find a little fresh herbs make a big difference in most slow cooker meals. You could use a squeeze of lemon in a pinch if you prefer.
Whatever you do, take this journey to the Mediterranean for your next weeknight dinner. It’s as easy as it gets!
Crock pot Mediterranean chicken
An easy crock pot meal bursting with bright, healthy Mediterranean flavors!
- 2 1/2 - 3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts (it's fine to use frozen)
- 1 28 oz. can whole tomatoes, mostly drained and chopped a bit (I took a knife to the tomatoes while they were still in the can.)
- 2 14-oz. cans artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 heaping tablespoon curry powder
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley or cilantro, chopped, to garnish
- Combine everything in your slow cooker (except the fresh parsley).
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours (or on high for 3 1/2-4 hours).
- Once finished, use two forks to break apart the chicken into large shredded chunks. Stir the chicken back into the crock pot mixture. You can serve immediately or let it hang out on warm for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve over couscous, brown rice, quinoa or whole wheat pasta.
- If you’re a real olive lover, add an extra 1/4 cup of chopped olives to the crock pot. Or, reserve them as a garnish to really get their full flavor.
- P.S. This freezes great, so you can just package up the extras, once cooled, and store them away for a rainy day.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 382kcal Calories from fat 72|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 8g||12%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 11g||44%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|