This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Slow cooker balsamic chicken is easy to prep with just a few ingredients for a simple weeknight dinner that has big flavor!
We are quickly moving to the end of preschool and kindergarten for the year and I’m trying to get all my loose ends tied up so I’m not completely work-bound while the kids are home and underfoot the next few weeks.
Or, actually, each begging to sit in my lap while I lean around them to work on the computer. 😳
However, I am taking off tomorrow night for my annual baking day with my mom!
We’re definitely doing our Rice Krispies Christmas wreaths and my grandmother’s 4-ingredient chocolate chip brownies as well as our family’s classic chocolate chip cookie recipe. And we’ve always got lots of other recipes we want to try – just not enough time — or enough people to eat it all!
Coming up is a super packed weekend and lots of family around, which is when I tend to fall back on slow cooker recipes that will be ready and waiting for us at dinnertime.
Honestly, I’ve been putting my slow cooker to seriously good use for the last couple of months now.
I love being able to set it and forget it, while I’m working, running out to get J from preschool, M from kindergarten, running errands and, this time of year, buying presents, going to parties and visiting with family.
Having the slow cooker going is just one less thing to think about at the end of the day when I’m exhausted and starving and ready to eat 5 minutes ago.
Today’s slow cooker balsamic chicken is one that’s really easy to prep and requires just a few basic ingredients. All kinds of good things about that!
It’s a recipe I originally came up with at a family beach vacation, when we were staying in a condo and didn’t want to have to buy too much stuff for our dinners.
(We also needed meals to be gluten-free for my mother-in-law.)
And at home, it’s a great go-to recipe because it’s all on-hand ingredients that you can throw together in the crock pot in the morning and off you go.
Then you come home to this aromatic balsamic-laced chicken with onions and tomatoes and all kinds of delicious sauce. You know I love me a good sauce!
And the balsamic vinegar + tomato combo is just killer. A little tart, a little sweet, a little acidic and such a good melding. 👌
Notes on this slow cooker balsamic chicken recipe:
- I serve the chicken breasts sliced and topped with lots of extra sauce. It’s all about the sauce. You could also shred the chicken if you prefer and stir it back into the sauce.
- I serve this with quinoa or steamed brown rice, but it would work with couscous or polenta too. Or just add some crusty bread to scoop and eat with. The delicious juices are just dying for something else to soak into!
- The recipe serves 6-8, but if you’ve got a smaller group for dinner, you can save the leftovers for lunch or freeze them for another time. Make sure to include plenty of sauce so your leftovers don’t dry out when you reheat them.
(Also served here 👆 with my quick Southern collard greens with bacon from earlier this week. That was a good dinner!)
Here’s to simple weeknight meals with big flavor! 🙌
- 2 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- chopped fresh parsley
- Combine Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl and sprinkle over chicken breasts. Place chicken breasts in the insert of the slow cooker.
- Top chicken with onion slices and diced tomatoes. Pour balsamic vinegar and chicken broth over chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with chopped fresh parsley.
I serve the chicken breasts sliced and topped with lots of extra sauce. It’s all about the sauce. You could also shred the chicken if you prefer and stir it back into the sauce.
I serve this with quinoa or steamed brown rice, but it would work with couscous or polenta too. Or just add some crusty bread to scoop and eat with.
The recipe serves 6-8, but if you’ve got a smaller group for dinner, you can save the leftovers for lunch or freeze them for another time. Make sure to include plenty of sauce so your leftovers don’t dry out when you reheat them.
- All-Clad SD700450 Programmable Oval-Shaped Slow Cooker with Black Ceramic Insert and Glass Lid, 6.5-Quart, Silver
- New Star Foodservice 42917 Stainless Steel Measuring Spoons and Measuring Cups Combo, Set of 8
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 355 Total Fat: 7g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 161mg Sodium: 412mg Carbohydrates: 8g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 6g Protein: 60g