This creamy skillet chicken has a velvety smooth sauce from just 2 ingredients! It's perfect for a really simple, delicious weeknight dinner!
Welcome to one of my favorite dinners. ❤️
I've been making this easy creamy chicken for years. It started one of those nights when I looked into the fridge and wondered why I hadn't gone to the store that day. Slim pickings.
Then I spied some wedge cheese and some chicken I needed to cook and this delightful dinner was born.
And ever since, it never fails to amaze me. It's the sauce.
The sauce has a serious yummy quotient. It's decadent but also, believe it, so very light. And it takes just two ingredients.
I use Laughing Cow wedge cheese and some chicken broth to make a velvety smooth sauce that coats the chicken and brings a wollop of flavor without many calories.
Big impact, little sacrifice. Win-win!
This also cooks up in no time, making it an easy, delicious dinner to turn to any night of the week. It's my foolproof back-up when things get crazy.
(Which is why I always have these ingredients on hand!)
You might also love this Quick Chicken & Gravy recipe, which is ready in just 25 minutes and is perfect served with mashed potatoes.
How-to make this easy creamy chicken:
- First, season your chicken strips or bits with salt and pepper and brown them up in a pan to get a nice golden crust. Don't skip the golden crust.
- Next, add your cheese wedges and some chicken broth. Use your spatula or spoon and scrape at the bottom of the pan to get those delicious stuck-on bits to un-stick. Flavor town!
- Let the cheese melt into the broth and cook down until it's reduced and thickened and made an unbelievably scrumptious sauce for your beautifully browned chicken.
That's it! You've just made a delicious dinner everyone is going to devour!
(Oh, and this recipe is low-carb and gluten-free and keto as is.)
I get questions a lot about the cheese used here, so let's discuss.
Notes about the cheese in this creamy chicken recipe:
- I use Laughing Cow cheese wedges in this recipe. It's easy, flavorful and keeps it really simple.
- However, you could also use a plain or flavored goat cheese for this recipe. You'll need about 4 ounces.
- You could also use a combination of plain cream cheese, Swiss or mozzarella cheese and cheddar cheese for this recipe.
- The amount listed in the recipe card works well for us. But of course, feel free to add extra cheese if you'd like!
Also, be sure to serve the chicken with any extra sauce drizzled on it. Plenty of extra sauce!
Just resist the urge to lick the very hot pan. It will burn your tongue. Not that I know from experience...
Lastly, here's some ideas of what to pair it with.
Serving ideas for easy creamy chicken:
- Fluffy baked potatoes (I always make easy 10-minute "baked" potatoes to keep the meal quick and easy.)
- Mashed potatoes
- Creamy grits or polenta
- Steamed rice or quinoa
You pretty much want anything that you can drizzle some extra sauce over! Oh that sauce... 😍
Then just add your favorite veggie: steamed broccoli or asparagus, green beans or sautéed spinach.
The whole dinner can be ready in just 15 minutes with minimal effort and very few, very basic ingredients. That's what I'm talking about.
(If that's your style, too, be sure to check out my easy balsamic chicken. It's another favorite weeknight go-to, also using pantry ingredients and ready in under 20 minutes.)
P.S. You may also want to try my easy cream cheese chicken. Similar flavors and just as easy! Or browse all of my chicken recipes in under 15 minutes for more inspiration.
Easy creamy chicken
This creamy skillet chicken has a velvety smooth sauce from just 2 ingredients! It's perfect for an easy weeknight dinner!
- 3-4 (6 oz.) chicken breasts, cut into large strips or chunks
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 creamy Swiss cheese wedges (see notes)
- ⅔ cup low-sodium chicken broth
- Season chicken strips or chunks with salt and black pepper.
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Add chicken and sear on both sides until browned, about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Add cheese wedges and chicken broth, scraping up any stuck-on bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until the cheese has melted, the sauce has thickened and the chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Serve chicken with extra sauce drizzled over the top. Devour!
I use Laughing Cow cheese wedges for this recipe. However, you could also substitute a plain or flavored goat cheese. (You'll need about 4 oz.) Or you could use a combination of plain cream cheese, Swiss or mozzarella cheese and cheddar cheese.
This is great served over a baked potato, mashed potatoes, polenta or grits, or steamed rice or quinoa. Anything that you can drizzle some of the extra sauce over!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 402Total Fat: 31gCholesterol: 100mgSodium: 360mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 30g
That looks amazing and certainly easy enough! We will have to try it!
It's a weeknight sanity saver - I always know I can fall back on this and get a delicious dinner served! Hope you love it, too!
Just found your site two nights ago and made your creamy chicken recipe tonight! Family loved it! You have no idea how difficult it usually is for everyone to like a new dish!! And that is usually my husband who is the complainer!! But not tonight! Made it with homemade potato “chips” (just thinly sliced potatoes sautéed in a little grape seed oil and a little butter). Put them in with the sauce and let them soak up some of the sauce. SOOO GOOD!!! Green beans on the side with crescent rolls. Thank you and can’t wait to try more recipes!
I'm so glad you found me Susan! And so happy to hear you loved this chicken recipe - it's a favorite in my house too! Those potatoes sound delicious too - what a great dinner! 😊
Making this tonight!
MADE IT AND IT WAS EXCELLENT. I'M GENERALLY A PRETTY GOOD COOK BUT MY 17 YEAR OLD SON SAID THIS WAS THE BEST HOME COOKED MEAL HE'S EVER HAD. HE WENT BACK FOR 3RDS, LOL.
Oh yay, I'm so glad you all loved it Shannon! Thanks so much for sharing! 😊
This creamy chicken was excellent!! I'll certainly will make it again. I used the Laughing Cow sharp cheddar wedges and it was perfect. Definitely a keeper.
I'm so happy to hear you loved it! Thanks for sharing! 😊
I bought LC cheese and realized I’ll probably never use it and so I googled laughing cow chicken bc I knew someone came up with something for it! My kind of meal! Easy and pleasing to the family. Dinner was prepared and on the table in 30 min. Now I actually have an excuse to buy the cheese !
Haha, that's exactly how I came up with this recipe! I needed to use some up and tossed them in the pan. It's been a favorite chicken dish for years now - go figure! So happy to hear you enjoyed it too!
I made this but used the garlic herb wedges. It is so good. Love the sauce.
Oh yum, that sounds so good with the garlic herb flavor - can't wait to try it! So happy you enjoyed it; thanks for sharing! 😊