This easy sesame asparagus side dish is just 6 ingredients and comes together in 15 minutes! It’s got great umami flavor, pretty colors and a fun sprinkling of sesame seeds to finish it.
So our first week post-spring break has been busy, but in the good way.
Full days are helping me get back in the swing of things and I'm slowly coming back around to our regular routine and schedule.
(Monday morning was rough, and I tried to be in denial... told my husband, "Can I just have a mimosa, work on a puzzle, play some Uno and get ready for the beach please?" 🥂⛱ I've since put on my big girl pants and returned to reality. 👍👩💻)
We've got a pretty wide open weekend coming up and I'm hoping to break in our new fire pit, maybe have a movie night with the kids, and chip away at my spring cleaning and organization list. Not super exciting maybe, but I'll take it. 😊
But for now, I’m bringing you a super easy side dish for spring, when asparagus is in season.
This sesame asparagus is just 6 ingredients and it’s ready in 15 minutes! It’s colorful, delicious and has tons of umami flavor.
And you know I love eating up ALL the asparagus when it’s fresh and in season in the springtime. 💚
This one changes up the flavors with a bit of Asian flavor from the soy sauce and sesame oil. And you know I’ve got some ideas on ways you can change it up or customize it a bit. 😉
Notes on how to make easy sesame asparagus:
- I love adding the red bell pepper for some sweetness and color, but I’ve made it before without for an even simpler side dish, so you could certainly skip it if you prefer.
- The cooking time will depend on the thickness of your asparagus. If you have super thin stalks, they will cook faster so be sure to slice your red pepper strips very thin too and have them halfway cooked before you add the asparagus.
- I use a fork to test the doneness of my asparagus stalks and to control how crisp-tender or well-cooked we want them.
- If you love garlic, you could add an extra clove for this dish.
- If you love spicy food, you can sprinkle the red pepper and asparagus with a bit of red pepper flakes as they are cooking.
This sesame asparagus makes a quick and easy side dish to go with my 15-minute honey-garlic chicken. Or you could serve this with an Asian-style roasted salmon or some sort of hoisin or teriyaki chicken or pork.
I hope you give it a try and I hope you have a lovely weekend!
Check out these other yummy asparagus recipes:
- Spring rice pilaf with asparagus and peas (Family Food on the Table)
- Salmon, potatoes and asparagus sheet pan dinner (Family Food on the Table)
- Chopped asparagus salad (The View From Great Island)
- Asparagus lemon risotto (A Family Feast)
- Quinoa salad with asparagus, zucchini and mustard vinaigrette (Family Food on the Table)
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- Sesame seeds, for serving
- Heat oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add bell pepper and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add asparagus and a pinch of salt and black pepper. Stir then cover, reduce heat to medium low and cook until the vegetables are just tender, about 6-8 minutes, depending on how thick your asparagus is. (See notes.)
- Add garlic and soy sauce and cook for an additional minute.
- Stir in sesame oil then serve, sprinkling with sesame seeds.
If your asparagus stalks are super thin, this will cook faster. Cut your red pepper strips thin so they cook through too.
I use a fork to test the doneness of my asparagus stalks and to control how crisp-tender or well-cooked we want them.
I love adding the red bell pepper for some sweetness and color, but I’ve made it before without for an even simpler side dish, so you could certainly skip it if you prefer.
If you love garlic, you could add an extra clove for this dish.
If you love spicy food, you can sprinkle the red pepper and asparagus with a bit of red pepper flakes as they are cooking.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 47Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 258mgFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 2g