Kale apple salad with cheddar and pecans is an easy, flavorful massaged kale side salad with sweet, fresh apples, creamy cheddar cheese cubes and crunchy, salty pecans!
Who’s ready to dive into the week?!
OK, to be honest, I’m not.
We had a really fun weekend, including a last-minute trip up to the lake to take the boat out and visit with friends. We came back yesterday and had an extended brunch at one of our favorite local restaurants. Super fun all around!
But this week, well, this week at work is looking like a doozy. 😔
Plus, M is off of school at the end of the week and will be home with me while I’m working, which is not much fun for either of us.
BUT, silver lining, I have my monthly girls dinner night on Wednesday and that’s ALWAYS a good time! So hopefully that’ll give me a good mid-week boost to carry me over to the weekend! 🙌
And now, on to today’s recipe, which should definitely be on your menu this week!
You guys know I love me some kale, right?
This kale apple salad has sweet, in-season apples, cubes of creamy, rich cheddar cheese, crunchy pecans and an apple cider vinaigrette (made along with the salad, not separately) and some maple syrup to really drive home the warm, cozy feelings!
You’ll be making this on repeat like we do!
A few notes on this kale apple salad with cheddar and pecans:
- To massage your kale, you need to chop it finely and then drizzle with the oil and lemon juice and use your fingers to rub the liquids into all the leaves. Just rub and mix with your hands until you’ve gotten everything coated. Then you let it sit at room temperature for 30 minutes so that the kale softens.
- If you need to prep the kale ahead, you can massage it and let it sit in a covered container (or large bag) in the refrigerator all day.
- I prefer to thinly slice my apple – cause it’s pretty and helps it stand out from the cheddar cubes – but you can dice it if you prefer.
- As with most salads, your heavy ingredients will fall to the bottom of the bowl when you mix it all up. Just be sure to use a spoon when serving and get scoops from the bottom so everyone gets some of the apple slices, cheddar cubes and pecan pieces.
- You can substitute walnuts for the pecans if you prefer – or use your favorite nut!
- You could add in some dried cranberries here as well!
What to pair this with for dinner?
In the meantime, let’s dive into the recipe! I hope you welcome fall with this kale apple cheddar salad. 💚🍎
- 1 large bunch of kale, stems discarded and leaves finely chopped (about 8-10 cups)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 medium apple, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup small cheddar cheese cubes (roughly 6 oz.)
- 1/2 cup pecans, roughly chopped
- Place chopped kale in a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice. Use your fingers to massage the oil and lemon juice into the kale, rubbing and mixing until all the pieces are coated. Let sit for 30 minutes to soften the kale.
- Meanwhile, prep your apple, cheddar and pecans.
- After kale has softened, drizzle with apple cider vinegar and maple syrup. Stir to mix and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Top salad with apple, cheddar and pecans and stir to coat. Serve and enjoy!
If you need to prep the kale ahead, you can massage it and let it sit in a covered container (or large bag) in the refrigerator all day.
You can substitute walnuts (or your favorite nut) for the pecans if you prefer.
You could add in some dried cranberries here as well!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 176Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 128mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 2gSugar: 6gProtein: 4g