I am a hummus lover, through and through. I like it plain and I like it flavored up in a hundred different ways. I like it with veggies, crackers, pretzels, on toast, as a sandwich spread and sometimes just with a spoon. My kids aren’t big into dipping and prefer their beloved beet hummus with a spoon. I get it. No distractions.
Spinach and artichoke go so well together in dips so I figured, why not put them together in hummus?
Good idea, folks. Good idea. It’s bright and flavorful and you get the hint of the veggies flavor combined with the creaminess of the hummus. Layers of flavor here. Lovely layers.
(By the way, a few months after I first made this, I did notice that they sell spinach-artichoke hummus at the store. Good to know I’m not the only one who thinks this is a great combo!)
It also makes for a lighter way to serve spinach and artichoke together — no heavy cheeses to weigh you down like in some of those dips. Just a fresh, bright hummus, waiting to be scooped onto veggies, crackers, pretzels, pita, a sandwich/wrap – you name it! Also, don’t forget the spoon if you just want to get down to business.
You won’t be able to get enough of this. Go try it out!
Spinach artichoke hummus
A light but creamy spinach-artichoke hummus to use as a dip or spread!
- 1 1/2 cups chick peas (1 can or homemade), rinsed and drained (with 2 tablespoons reserved)
- 1 heaping cup packed baby spinach leaves
- 3 artichoke hearts (from jar, packed in oil but not marinated)
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 2 tablespoons water or liquid reserved from chick peas
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Mix everything together in a food processor (I crammed it all into my small one but it would be easier to use a big one) and blend until smooth. Add an extra splash of water, lemon juice or oil if you need to, to get it to the right consistency.
- Taste and adjust the salt.
- Serve with veggies and crackers or pretzels or use as a sandwich/wrap spread. Delicious!
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 746kcal Calories from fat 163|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 18g||28%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 26g||104%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
** Are you partial to a certain flavor of hummus or do you switch it up frequently?