Posted by Kathryn Dohertyhttps://www.familyfoodonthetable.com/taco-salad/
© 2015 Family Food on the Table. All rights reserved. 4 servings adjust servings
All the yummy flavors of tacos in a lightened up, beautiful salad!
- 1 heaping cup brown rice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups chopped bell peppers (multi colored if you have them)
- 1 to 1.25 pounds ground turkey (or you could sub ground beef)
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning (homemade or store bought)
- 3-4 cups chopped lettuce, for serving
- Optional toppings: chopped tomatoes, sliced avocado, chopped green onions, chopped cilantro, shredded cheese, Greek yogurt (or sour cream), salsa, chopped olives, sliced jalapeños, crushed tortilla chips
- Cook brown rice.
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add bell peppers and sauté for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Move bell peppers to edge of pan and add ground turkey to middle of pan. Cook 5-7 minutes, turning and breaking up with a spoon, until the turkey is cooked through.
- Sprinkle everything with taco seasoning, add 2-4 tablespoons of water and mix it all together.
- Once simmering, turn the heat down to low and continue cooking for 5-10 minutes to let all the flavors meld together.
- Assemble your salads as desired with either a base of rice or of lettuce. Add the turkey-pepper mixture and finish with your favorite toppings.
See below for some variations to try.
| Nutrition Facts|
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 402kcal Calories from fat 111|
| % Daily Value|
|Total Fat 12g||18%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||12%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|