This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Turmeric chicken bowls with basmati rice, fresh veggies and hummus are a quick, easy and super flavorful meal! Great for meal prepping or throwing together a healthy lunch or dinner!
I’ve been busy chugging out my homemade baby food post updates and feel like we haven’t chatted! Here’s a few of our recent highlights:
- Spring has arrived and M and J are loving spending time outside! We have some good friends just across the street so we’ve been riding bikes and scooters and getting in some fresh air. Much appreciated!
- Hubs and I over the weekend cranked up the music after the kids went to bed and had ourselves a little dance party ❤️ Lots of fun!
- I’ve been going old school with some of my TV watching while I’m on the treadmill. Random things I’ve watched this last week or so include: Indiana Jones (parts of 3 different movies!), Erin Brockovich, My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 (which I hadn’t seen before so subtitles were all I had) and Food Network (my usual go-to when I’m working out). Yes, I’ve been well entertained while logging my miles 😉
Question for you today: What are the veggies you always have on hand? Not ones that you buy for your weekly or monthly meal planning, but ones you just keep on hand always?
We have several.
Spinach is a definite staple. We use it as our lettuce on sandwiches, put it in fruit mixes for yogurt for the kids, sauté it for dinner, make simple spinach salads and so much more. Always have spinach.
We always have potatoes and onions, too. I think I could live on those three things. 😉
I also tend to pick up cherry tomatoes and cucumber at the store a lot.
Again, they go great on sandwiches, wraps, salads and are an easy one to slice up for the kids to have a veggie option on their plate. Especially if we’re dipping in my go-to lightened up hummus!
But when I don’t have a plan for things, sometimes they sit. And sometimes I have to find a way to use them up before they go bad. Cause I hate wasting food!
And this month’s Recipe Redux is all about using on-hand ingredients. I’ve been wanting to use more turmeric recently, too, since it’s the current hot spice in the nutrition world. And I’ve always got a variety of rices in the pantry and hummus at the ready.
So I mixed up these turmeric chicken bowls with rice, veggies and hummus and I’ve been making them on repeat!
This recipe is a great one for being simple, on-hand ingredients that you can throw together anytime. Which is totally my kind of food!
The turmeric helps tie it all together because it seasons the chicken and then gets sprinkled on top of the hummus. And the hummus is all the seasoning you need for the raw veggies – dip and devour!
I’ve made this with and without spinach so if you don’t always have at least one bag in your fridge like us, you could certainly skip it.
I do love the cucumber and tomato combo here – they add some freshness, some juiciness, and just a pop of color and flavor.
But feel free to substitute any of your favorite veggies – this is a versatile recipe! Just make sure the turmeric chicken, rice and hummus is part of your final bowl. Such a delicious combo!
Notes on turmeric chicken bowls:
- I use brown basmati rice — and love the extra flavor it adds — but you can substitute your favorite kind of rice.
- I went with my basic 5-ingredient lightened up hummus, but you can use store-bought and/or get creative and try a flavored hummus here.
- As I mentioned, I like this combo of veggies but you can switch things out and customize it to what you like best. Or whatever veggies you have on hand in your fridge.
I hope you enjoy these turmeric chicken bowls with rice and veggies as much as we have!
And be sure to check out the other Recipe Redux recipes below for inspiration on pantry staples. 💚
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in about 1/2 inch cubes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 1/4 cups basmati rice (uncooked, see notes)
- 1 cup hummus (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and diced
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat and add olive oil.
- Season chicken pieces with 1 teaspoon turmeric, cumin, salt, pepper and cayenne, if using.
- Add chicken to the pan and cook until cooked through, 8-10 minutes.
- To make the bowls, add cooked rice, chicken and divide up the cherry tomatoes, cucumber and spinach. Top with 1/4 cup hummus per bowl and sprinkle hummus with remaining turmeric. Enjoy!
I use brown basmati rice — and love the extra flavor it adds — but you can substitute your favorite kind of rice.
I went with my basic lightened-up hummus but you can use store-bought and/or feel free to try a flavored hummus here.
I like this combo of veggies, but you can switch things out and customize it to what you like best.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 571 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 124mg Sodium: 689mg Fiber: 6g Sugar: 3g Protein: 49g