Healthy slow cooker buffalo chicken takes just minutes to prep and can be used for sandwiches, sliders, wraps, salads or nachos!
Hi from sunny Florida!
I'm away for a weekend family reunion with my husband's side of the family.
(And it's awesome. Cause they're awesome. I married into a fabulous family!)
So I'll be keeping this intro short today...
I’ve got another Recipe Redux today with a theme of easy summer slow cooker meals - perfect for when you don’t want to turn on the oven and heat up the house!
So I’m bringing my healthy slow cooker buffalo chicken, which is perfect for sliders, sandwiches, salad bowls and more!
You may remember that I’m ALL about using my slow cooker in the summer. I love being able to stay at the pool a little longer or go for one more bike ride, knowing I don’t have to come home and prep dinner.
We get to stay outside a little longer and have dinner ready to go when we’re finally home, tired and hungry. 🙌
Favorite summer slow cooker meals:
- Slow cooker balsamic chicken
- Slow cooker Thai pork
- Slow cooker tequila chicken
- Slow cooker apricot chicken
- Slow cooker salsa verde pork tacos, and of course
- Slow cooker pulled pork
And now this healthier buffalo chicken. Made easy in the slow cooker. With just a few ingredients. 👍
Most buffalo chicken is made with a ton of butter. This has none. 🙌
It gets deliciously creamy and silky from the cream cheese and Greek yogurt and then blue cheese is stirred in at the end to add some extra richness and those classic buffalo chicken flavors.
But if you’re not a huge blue cheese fan (confession: I’m not, except with buffalo chicken), you can definitely leave it off. It’s plenty creamy and flavorful as is!
Oh and you might also like this buffalo chicken dip, which is an easy and delicious appetizer that you can serve cold or bake and serve warm.
Ways to serve healthy slow cooker buffalo chicken:
- Make sandwiches or sliders, like I did here - perfect for parties!
- Use wraps or lettuce wraps for a low-carb healthy option.
- Pile the buffalo chicken onto some nachos for a fun party appetizer or game-day snack.
- Make a salad bowl - use some chopped romaine as the base, add a pile of this shredded buffalo chicken and then arrange some matchstick carrots, sliced cherry tomatoes and maybe some corn around your bowl. I might add some roasted potatoes too! 👌
- You could put some of this buffalo chicken in potato skins for an appetizer.
- Serve it as a dip with some celery and carrot sticks and chips. Yum!
So you pretty much need to go and make this ASAP. Easy, creamy, delicious and so versatile!
I’ve convinced myself — I’m gonna make another batch as soon as we’re back home. 😄
Have a fabulous weekend!
Healthy slow cooker buffalo chicken
Healthy slow cooker buffalo chicken is lightened up but super creamy and takes just minutes to prep!
- 2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 4 oz. reduced fat (or fat free) cream cheese
- ½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- ½ cup Frank’s red hot sauce
- ½ cup blue cheese crumbles
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Add the chicken to the insert of your slow cooker. Add cream cheese, Greek yogurt and hot sauce and stir to mix so everything is spread out and coated.
- Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours, until cooked through.
- Remove the chicken breasts, shred and return the shredded chicken to the crock pot. Stir into the sauce until well mixed.
- Stir in the blue cheese and let the mixture sit for about 15 minutes (either off or on warm) to let the chicken absorb all the juices and flavors.
- Serve and enjoy!
You can serve this buffalo chicken as sandwiches or sliders, as wraps or lettuce wraps, on nachos, in potato skins, as a salad bowl, or as a dip with some carrots, celery and chips.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 228Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 94mgSodium: 582mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 33g
Tara | Treble in the Kitchen
YUMMM! This looks perfect for a party 🙂 We pretty much love buffalo anything in our house.
I feel the same way! Can't get enough so I had to lighten it up a bit - now I can feed my addiction anytime! 😉
So delicious! Read it wrong and but the blue cheese in from the breginning and it was fine. Also used half the hot sauce because we r wimps!!!
Yay, so glad to hear you all enjoyed it! XO
I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed it Rachel! Thanks for sharing!
This recipe is absolutely amazing. I love buffalo chicken, but I always love to add a little creaminess to it (with wings I use blue cheese dressing) and this stuck a great balance between the spicy and creamy. I didn't end up adding blue cheese crumbles because they were expensive and I'm a poor college kid, but it turned out wonderful without. I also subbed Greek yogurt cream cheese for the reduced fat cream cheese to rev up the protein content further. Thank you so much!!
I'm so happy to hear you loved this Maddi! Thanks so much for sharing! 😊
What is a serving size and how many servings does this make?
Hi Sara, it kind-of depends on how you are using it! If you are serving this as a dip for an appetizer, it serves about 10. If you are using it for buffalo chicken sandwiches or wraps, you'll probably be closer to getting 7-8 servings. I hope that helps!
Is a serving like 1/2 cup?
This makes a lot! And yes, it's probably around 1/2 cup for a single serving - enough for a generous scoop on a slider or sandwich roll, or for plenty of dipping. Hope that helps!
Could this be looked on low for longer? Or does it come out better on high? 🙂
Hi Sarah! Yes, you can cook this on low instead; it will probably take 6-7 hours. Hope that helps and hope you enjoy it!