Tender, flavorful shredded slow cooker pork with salsa verde is great for tacos, rice bowls, nachos - any of your favorites!
So my oven is dead. Totally broken. Not working at all. No oven for me.
This is problem enough for a devoted home cook who makes all of our own food. And more of a problem for a home cook who also adores baking. Especially one with kids who adore muffins of all varieties at all meal and snack times of the day.
But you add food blogger into the mix and it’s just really a sad state of affairs. #totallyfeelingsorryformyself
Oh, and it’s going to be at least 2, probably 3, weeks until we get a replacement. Sweet. 😒
So yeah, I’ve been using my slow cooker a lot. It’s working overtime for me. Which has actually been a bit of a blessing in disguise.
I’ve had my go-to recipes for a while now (like my slow cooker Mediterranean chicken, chick peas and our almost weekly deli turkey) but this winter I’ve been experimenting so I can expand my repertoire and add more easy meals for us.
It’s such a relief knowing that our dinner is cooking away and I can just relax and enjoy the afternoon (post-work at least) with the kiddos.
We can go to the playground, run errands, read books, do puzzles, play card games (a new favorite pastime for M - and me, to be honest!) and dinner is cooking all the while.
Kinda makes me feel like a superhero!
And today's recipe is a definite keeper.
Slow cooker salsa verde pork
This is a great, easy, dump-and-get-on-with-it sort-of slow cooker meal. Those are my favorite. ❤️
Also, this shredded pork can be used in so many ways. I love it for a pork tacos dinner - hello #tacoTuesday, my favorite trend!
It’s also amazing piled up on a rice bowl, it’s a fun twist for quesadillas and it’s even great for wraps or nachos - so many possibilities!
My kind of versatile dinner 🙂
Which is a great bonus for slow cooker meals when you have lots of leftovers. Make a big batch, have pork tacos that night and then use it in different ways throughout the week for other dinners. Or lunches.
Plus, you can freeze leftovers for another night. It's lovely not having to worry over dinner!
And, one last bonus for you, shredded pork is a great finger food for little ones if you have any of those underfoot.
Slow cooker to the rescue once again!
And for those of you with ovens, well, send some muffins my way, wouldya?
- 2 pounds pork tenderloin, trimmed
- 1 (12 oz.) beer (see notes)
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 (16 oz.) jar salsa verde, divided
- Place pork tenderloin in the slow cooker. Pour the beer over the pork.
- Mix together the spices in a small bowl. Sprinkle the tops of the pork with the spice mixture.
- Spoon half of the jar of salsa verde over the pork (save the rest for later).
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3 ½ to 4 hours.
- Remove pork and shred with two forks. It should fall apart very easily.
- Drain all but ½ cup of the liquid in the slow cooker. Then return the shredded pork to the slow cooker and add reserved liquid and remaining salsa verde. Stir to combine and let sit, covered, in the slow cooker on warm for 10 minutes to help the pork absorb the flavors.
- Serve as tacos, rice bowls, quesadillas, nachos - however you like!
You can sub chicken or beef broth for the beer if you’d prefer.
Here’s my recipe and tips for perfect brown rice, which makes a lovely pairing with this shredded pork.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 171Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 83mgSodium: 352mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 0gProtein: 30g