A savory oatmeal bowl with sautéed mushrooms and spinach, topped with a fried egg for an easy but rich and luxurious breakfast!
Hello from the beach!
We woke up yesterday, checked the traffic and decided to drive down to South Carolina so we'd be in the path of totality for the solar eclipse today.
And to be clear, I feel so COOL!
I'm not impulsive at all (and just to call myself out, I had two "to-do" lists - if we go, if we don't) so it feels kinda fun to have cut loose and come down here for a couple of days! ❤️
But on to the food!
You probably know by now that I ADORE breakfast.
We make tons of muffins around here, plus overnight oatmeal jars (including these fun chocolate overnight oats) and granola is a staple in our house.
But did you know that I really adore savory breakfasts?
It’s true. Some mornings I go with sweet but more often than not I get a salty craving in the morning and it must be satisfied. Preferably 5 minutes ago. (No one ever accused me of being patient!)
So I’m really excited for this month’s Recipe Redux theme, which is all about savory breakfasts. (I can’t wait to see what my fellow healthy food bloggers and nutritionist friends have come up with - check it all out below!)
I literally brainstormed about a dozen ideas of what I would feature here today. Cause I have so many savory breakfasts I love and even more that I want to try out.
In the end, I went with this simple but simply divine savory oatmeal bowl with mushrooms, spinach and fried egg.
And you probably know that we are oatmeal crazy in this house. Oatmeal in ALL the ways ALL the time!
(And while my family goes sweet with their regular morning oatmeal, I always add salt, maybe hot sauce, sometimes even soy sauce to my oatmeal for a savory version.)
I also adore a mushroom + spinach combo (check out my healthy bagel toppings) and I do NOT say no to a fried egg. 🍳🍳🍳
I have fried eggs on top of all kinds of crazy things and call it breakfast. I’ll take dinner scraps or whatever leftover veggies we have in the fridge, scramble them up, top them with a fried egg (and usually some hot sauce too) and I’m in savory breakfast heaven!
So for today’s breakfast, I get some of my favorites… I cook the oatmeal with some onions because I’ve been in a weird onion groove for about two years now (you can skip them if you’d rather. Just don’t tell me cause that makes me sad.)
Then I sauté some mushrooms that bring a ton of umami flavor, wilt in some soft, tender spinach leaves and fry up an oozing, perfectly set egg to serve on top. (All in the same skillet cause I’m lazy like that.)
And when you break into that egg and the yolk runs all over the oatmeal and veggies… OH BABY! Come to mama!
Notes on making this savory oatmeal bowl:
- I like LOTS of veggies so this has a good amount of mushrooms and spinach. Adjust to suit your tastes.
- As mentioned, you can skip the onion if you’re not a huge fan and just cook the oatmeal plain by itself (either on the stovetop or in the microwave).
- Because this is such a hearty bowl, I make just ⅓ cup of oats for my serving. Feel free to bump it up to a full ½ cup serving if you want (just adjust the amount of water.)
- You can add some hot sauce or crushed red pepper flakes to the top of this bowl for a spicy kick.
- Not into frying an egg or want a vegan version? Skip the egg and add some nutritional yeast on top for a bit of richness.
- You could also add Parmesan or mozzarella cheese, if not vegan, but I think the creamy egg yolk adds enough richness on its own.
This savory oatmeal bowl is hearty, flavorful and rich without being too heavy. It will keep you full and energized through a long morning but it doesn’t weigh you down. 👌
Now, this isn’t my normal on-the-go, out-the-door type of breakfast, but when everyone has left the house in the morning, and I’m about to dive back into deadlines for my day job as a health and nutrition editor, I love to steal 10 minutes to make myself a yummy breakfast bowl.
It feels so luxurious!
I hope you give this a try and I’d love to hear what YOUR favorite savory breakfasts are - leave me a comment below!
Savory oatmeal bowl with mushrooms, spinach and fried egg
This savory oatmeal bowl with mushrooms, spinach and a fried egg makes for an easy but rich and luxurious breakfast!
- ½ teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- ⅓ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- ⅔ cup water
- 4 oz. white button mushrooms, sliced (or substitute shiitakes)
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach
- 1 large egg
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
For serving (optional):
- Parmesan or mozzarella cheese, hot sauce, red pepper flakes
- Heat olive oil in a small pot over medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes, until softened.
- Add water, bring to a boil then stir in oats.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and cook 5 minutes, until the water is mostly absorbed and the oats are cooked.
- Turn off heat and let sit for 2-3 minutes. If the oatmeal is too thick, add another splash or two of water to loosen it up. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray (or use another ½ teaspoon of extra-virgin olive oil) and add mushrooms.
- Sauté mushrooms over medium heat for 4-5 minutes, until softened and moisture has been drawn out of the mushrooms.
- Add spinach to pan and stir until it’s slightly wilted. Season with salt and pepper.
- Push spinach and mushrooms to the side of the pan, spray the open area with a little cooking spray and carefully crack in the egg.
- Cover the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the egg has reached your desired degree of doneness.
- Serve spinach and mushrooms over oatmeal, top with fried egg, season with salt and pepper and add any additional toppings.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
I like LOTS of veggies so this has a good amount of mushrooms and spinach. Adjust to suit your tastes.
You can skip the onion if you’re not a huge fan and just cook the oatmeal plain by itself (either on the stovetop or in the microwave).
Because this is such a hearty bowl, I make just ⅓ cup of oats for my serving. Feel free to bump it up to a full ½ cup serving if you want (just adjust the amount of water.)
You can add some hot sauce or crushed red pepper flakes to the top of this bowl for a spicy kick.
For a vegan version, skip the egg and add some nutritional yeast on top for a bit of richness.
You could also add Parmesan or mozzarella cheese, if not vegan, but I think the creamy, rich egg yolk is enough here.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 228Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 186mgSodium: 881mgFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 14g
Dawn - Girl Heart Food
What a delicious way to start the day! So hearty and flavourful!! Yep! Gotta love that runny egg 😉 Pinned! We won't get a full solar eclipse around here, but it is preeeeeetty cool! Seems like everyone is talking about it!! My fave savoury breakfast? Hmmmm...so many choices. My hubby's eggs benny is pretty delicious, but that one is a little more indulgent so only on weekends every so often! Have an awesome week! XO
Runny egg = always a good idea! I'd love to come for breakfast for your husband's eggs benny too!!
I have never made savory oatmeal before... grits, yes, but never oatmeal. Yum!!! This sounds like such a delicious way to start the day. I will definitely be trying it!
I always go savory with my oatmeal - just my style I guess. 😊 You should definitely try it!
Yay for savory oatmeal--I'm definitely gonna have to try this one out! That fried egg looks perfect!
Thanks! I hope you do Farrah!
Can't find any mushrooms where I live, what could be a good substitute?
You could just skip them! They add a meatiness to the dish, so if you aren't vegetarian, you could do some crumbled sausage or bacon in place of the mushrooms. Or add some sautéed bell peppers or zucchini if you want another veggie. Hope that helps!
Cheyanne @ No Spoon Necessary
Oh you are SO cool, Kathryn! 😉 I'm just jealous you are at the beach. AGAIN! But, it's really neat you will be in the direct path of the eclipse! I just got back from the store and it was PACKED! I guess everyone in Pinehurst is having a party for this thing. Well, everyone other than me! Lol. Hope you guys have fun watching it!! Annnyways, on to this dish! LOVE IT! Breakfast is definitely my favorite meal, so I am totally digging these bowls! You packed them with all the noms! Cheers, doll!
It was really busy down here in S.C. too - but we were so glad we came! Have a great week! XO
Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table
I made savory oats like 6 years ago and people basically made fun of me. LOL! Now it's everywhere. I love your bowl. Good call on the 'shrooms! Pinning to try. 🙂
I'm with ya Laura! I've always been a savory oatmeal person too - so glad it's catching on!!
Looks so yummy! I like your combination.
This looks delicious! Love the savory spin on a dish that's usually served sweet!
Luci’s Morsels | fashion. food. frivolity.
Thanks Luci! I think savory oatmeal is the way to go!
Karman | The Nutrition Adventure
This look so filling! What an awesome way to start your day and enjoy the morning!
It really is a great start to the day! 😊