We love a taco night around here. It’s tasty, it’s easy and everyone can fix their tacos to their liking. To keep it from getting boring, I try to vary our taco nights a bit.
Our standard default is turkey tacos. But sometimes we make a big taco salad or switch it up with my creamy shredded chicken tacos. Sometimes I heat up refried beans and add that as a spread with the taco shells.
And sometimes I get wild and crazy and make fish tacos. (If my 20-year-old self could see what I now consider “wild and crazy,” she would tilt her head back — while balancing a mango martini — and laugh all over me. That’s OK. I’m comfortable with my level of craziness these days.)
I love these because they don’t require much planning. If you keep some frozen fish on hand and some salsa verde in your pantry, you’re ready to rock. Easy, peasy. And so darn tasty. They even work as a yummy taco bowl.
I like serving this with some easy no-mayo coleslaw. Sometimes I add that to the taco with the fish and wrap it up and sometimes I serve it on the side. Sometimes I use the coleslaw both ways, since I’m just so wild and crazy.
Whip this up and surprise your family with a soon-to-be taco night favorite. Now excuse me while I go see a bartender about a mango martini…
- 2 mahi-mahi filets (or you could use grouper or another white flaky fish)
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning (homemade* or store bought)
- salsa verde (I use Trader Joe’s brand) - enough to make you happy
- For serving: whole wheat flour tortillas, desired toppings: shredded cheese, Greek yogurt or sour cream, sliced avocado, coleslaw** or any of your favorites
- Preheat oven to 400. Place a piece of aluminum foil on a baking pan - makes for easy clean up. Spray with cooking spray.
- Season fish with 1 teaspoon taco seasoning and place on prepared pan.
- Bake at 400 for 10-15 minutes, until done (depends on the thickness of your fish).
- Shred the fish with two forks. Serve in soft whole wheat flour tortillas with salsa verde and any other favorite taco toppings.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 661Total Fat: 36gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 24gCholesterol: 179mgSodium: 774mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 10gSugar: 10gProtein: 55g