Pork chops with apple butter is an easy, flavorful weeknight dinner that requires just 5 ingredients and is ready in 30 minutes!
My voice is ka-put. I'm a croaking frog. And my throat is on fire, causing me to drink my weight in water and other soothing beverages (with a bit of bourbon here and there to kill those germs 😉).
Ugh. I sometimes take it as a personal affront when I get sick. Silly, I know, but I mean, I eat really, really good-for-me foods. I exercise a lot. I take good care of myself and I'd like to think that should protect me a little better than it seems to some seasons.
I guess it's the little germ-magnets living in my house with me... ages 5 and 3 and bringing home all the nasties. Oh well. They're pretty cute and I'll live 😉
I’ve been excited to bring you these pork chops with apple butter since last fall. Last fall was my first one as a food blogger and I just had two many recipes and not enough time.
That’s still true. 😉
But these pork chops with apple butter are so easy, so delicious and perfect for a fast fall dinner!
And, like many good things, they were invented one night when I — out of character since I'm never without a full month-long meal plan — didn’t have a recipe planned and was poking around in my fridge.
I had pork chops I needed to use and wanted something to add a good bit of flavor.
I spied a little jar of my homemade slow cooker apple butter on the top shelf and thought, “Pork chops and applesauce is a thing. Why not pork chops with apple butter?”
And yes, this was a good plan. A very good plan.
(By the way, I love having a lot of small jars on hand in the kitchen for storing sauces, condiments, homemade seasonings mixes and more.)
You just need pork chops, apple butter, onion, rosemary and apple cider vinegar (plus olive oil, salt and pepper but I don’t count those as ingredients). And you’ve got a delicious fall main course!
It also goes along with my all-things-apple-all-the-time spree currently happening on the blog.
Let me refresh your memory: apple butternut squash muffins, sautéed chicken and apples, fruit-flavored homemade applesauce and the slow cooker apple butter recipe I brought you on Monday.
And I've got one more apple recipe coming next week that you simply HAVE to see!! #cantstopwontstop
But for today, it's all about the pork chops. Except you need more than just that for a complete dinner.
What to serve with pork chops:
- Quick + easy microwave baked potatoes or paprika roasted potatoes.
- I love pork with sweet potatoes too, so you could try spicy sweet potato rounds or maple cinnamon sweet potato rounds.
- Add some steamed broccoli, a simple spinach salad or maybe some sautéed green beans and tomatoes.
Dinner time deliciousness!
Pork chops with apple butter
An easy, flavorful weeknight dinner with just 5 ingredients, ready in 30 minutes!
- 4 boneless pork chops, trimmed
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup apple butter (homemade or store bought), divided
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Season both sides of the pork chops with rosemary, salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of olive oil in a large oven-safe pan over medium-high heat. Add pork chops and sear until browned with a nice crust, about 3 minutes per side.
- Transfer pork chops to a pan and cover to keep warm. Pork chops will not be cooked through at this point.
- Reduce heat to medium, add remaining two teaspoons olive oil to pan and add sliced onions. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened and slightly browned. Turn down the heat if they are starting to burn at all.
- Season the onions with salt and pepper. Add apple cider vinegar.
- Return the pork chops and any accumulated juices to the pan and nestle in among the onions. Spread a tablespoon of apple butter over each pork chop.
- Transfer the pan to the oven and cook for 8-10 minutes, until the pork is almost cooked through. (The temp should be about 145 for medium-rare, after it's rested. Go to 155/160 for a more well-done pork chop.) The timing will depend on the thickness of your pork chops.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let the pork chops rest for 5 minutes before serving.
The cook time of the pork chops will depend on how thick yours are. I recommend using a digital thermometer to check the temperature.
These pork chops go great with baked or roasted potatoes or sweet potatoes and a favorite veggie side, such as steamed broccoli, roasted Brussel sprouts or a salad.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 387Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 103mgSodium: 518mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 7gProtein: 37g
Cheyanne @ No Spoon Necessary
Eeek! I certainly hope you feel better soon, Kathryn! Being sick is the worst and it seems like it's going around, which makes me want to stay locked in my house! Lol. Anyways, loooooove me some pork chops with apples and onions, so this is totally calling my name! This is such a delicious way to use that apple butter!! Dinner perfection, friend! Cheers!
Thanks Cheyanne! I definitely plan to hole up at home as much as possible for a few days 😉
These look like such an easy and tasty change up to the traditional pork and apple combo! I'll have to grab an extra jar of apple butter the next time I'm at Trader Joe's 🙂
They are - hope you give it a try Kelli 😉 (And if you want to try homemade apple butter, I've got a super easy recipe to make it in the slow cooker - and no sugar added!)
Yessssss bourbon cures all! 😉
This looks like such an easy but yummy fall supper!
Haha, agreed 😉 Thanks Krystle!
it looks so tasty and attractive. I love the colors of the pork and the way you decorated your dish as well.
Thanks so much Sabrina!
This was a lovely dish. I made it tonight for my sister and I. It was a great way to use some of the apple butter I made yesterday. I’m with you, I could totally just eat it from the jar, but this is a nice option. Thanks for sharing it 🙂
I'm so happy to hear you enjoyed it Margaret! Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment! 😊