One-skillet sautéed chicken and apples with rosemary is an easy weeknight dinner with big flavor, perfect for celebrating fall!
I am feeling so full in the best of ways!
Not food baby full… though maybe a bit of that too 😉 Mostly, I just feel full of inspiration, friendship, warmth, happiness, life… and on and on.
I’m normally a very do-go-make-fix-finish type of person. Type A all the way. And I had some of that at the Chopped Con conference this past weekend — great speakers, great learning, great take-aways. Lots of notes, lots of lists, lots of goals set.
But I also got to re-connect with old friends and new friends. And drink, eat and laugh together. And it was so special to take a moment out to just be, to enjoy, to reflect, to connect, to share… such a welcome change of pace. I feel refreshed and renewed. 😊
But, as always, let’s go back to the food…
So yes, I just shared my apple and butternut squash muffins a couple of days ago and today I’m bringing your this sautéed chicken and apples with rosemary.
And fair warning, I have a ridiculous number of apple recipes coming your way in the next month.
I’m not kidding. So many apple recipes. Sweet, savory, all manner of meals, but all kinds of apple love going on here.
Some pumpkin, too, of course, but mostly just an overload of apples. #sorrynotsorry
Today we’re taking our apples savory and bringing them to dinner.
The apple is sliced and sautéed with onions, then some rosemary-seasoned chicken breasts are seared in the pan and everything cooks together with a splash of apple cider vinegar to really help bring home the flavors.
It’s fall comfort food that’ll whisk you away to the orchard!
A few quick notes on this chicken and apples recipe:
- I have used both a regular red McIntosh and a Gala apple in this recipe — either works great. Honey crisp would be fabulous as well!
- Make sure not to overcrowd your pan. You want to brown the chicken, not just steam it. You can cook the chicken in batches if you need to.
- You can add an extra tablespoon of butter to this dish at the end, if you want an extra rich sauce.
- Either way, please, please make sure to spoon the extra pan juices over your chicken when you serve it – so much flavor! You don’t want to miss it. 👍
Hope you have a great week! Enjoy!
Sauteed chicken and apples with rosemary
One-skillet sautéed chicken and apples with rosemary is a great fall dinner!
- 1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small sweet onion, thinly sliced (about 1 cup)
- 2 small red apples, sliced
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 heaping tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Heat butter and oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and apple slices and saute for 4-5 minutes, until softened and slightly browned.
- Meanwhile, season the chicken strips with 2 teaspoons of rosemary, salt and black pepper.
- Push the onion and apple slices to the sides of the pan and add chicken breast strips to the middle. Brown on both sides, about 6-8 minutes total. (If your pan is too crowded, do this in batches so you can properly brown the chicken.)
- Add vinegar and remaining teaspoon of rosemary then cover the pan, reduce heat to medium and cook until chicken is cooked through, 3-5 more minutes.
- Serve chicken and apples with extra pan juices and enjoy!
Recipe NotesI use either a regular red McIntosh or a Gala apple in this recipe -- both work great.
You can add an extra tablespoon of butter to this dish at the end, if you want an extra rich sauce.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 429 Calories from fat 380|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 42||65%|
|Saturated Fat 16||80%|
|Dietary Fiber 2||8%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g||80g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g||80g|