This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
These super crunchy, flavorful chicken breasts are made with 3 simple ingredients – no dredging station needed!
Somebody is going to revoke my Southerners club card for this confession, but here goes: I don’t really like fried chicken. Pause. The room falls silent and there’s the distant sound of crickets…
OK, so maybe you’re thinking I just haven’t had really good fried chicken. And that may be true. I’ve certainly got plenty of options nearby — this is North Carolina, after all — and I could stand to give it another chance. But honestly, I’m kinda good with staying away. I’m somewhat of a health nut, after all.
But chicken that’s super crispy, super tasty and super easy, without any of the frying mess and heavy brick-in-your-stomach feeling? I’m down for that.
This recipe couldn’t be easier. You marinate your chicken in Italian dressing — I prefer the homemade kind — to infuse it with some herby flavor, then coat it in Panko breadcrumbs and bake it. No long line of bowls for a dredging station. Just a super big crunch factor.
Panko breadcrumbs are a must here. If you haven’t used them before, then you may think it’s not possible to get crunchy baked chicken, but I assure you, it is. Panko is a Japenese style of breadcrumbs made from bread that doesn’t have a crust. (It’s bread baked by electrical current, so it’s more or less electrocuted.) This rather strange sounding method makes for airy, large flakes that don’t absorb as much grease and moisture, so it’s a lighter coating that stays more crispy. It’s science, folks.
And this chicken is maxed out with a crispy coating while still being flavorful and juicy on the inside, thanks to the Italian dressing marinade. It’s easy, it’s crunchy, it’s healthy and it’s great any night of the week.
While the chicken is in the oven, fix up your sides and dinner is served! I would suggest
Baked quinoa Caprese casserole (you can bake it at 375 in the oven with the chicken for 30 minutes)
Israeli couscous veggie salad or fast farro salad with veggies
Steamed brown rice and green beans gremolata
Simple farro salad and a citrus kale salad
Or keep it really simple with fast baked potatoes and a spinach salad.
Easy crunchy baked chicken
These super crunchy, flavorful chicken breasts are made with 3 simple ingredients - no dredging station needed!
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 1/2 cups Italian dressing (homemade or store bought)
- 1 1/2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Marinate the chicken breasts in Italian dressing for at least 30 minutes and up to 2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Place Panko breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Remove chicken from the marinade (discard the marinade). Coat both sides of chicken in Panko breadcrumbs, pressing to help it adhere.
- Place chicken breasts on a baking pan covered in aluminum foil - easy clean-up! Spray the tops of the chicken breasts with cooking spray. This helps it get browned and crisp.
- Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes, until golden brown and chicken breasts are cooked through. Serve hot and enjoy!
Panko breadcrumbs are a must here! They bring the crunch in this baked chicken.
|Amount Per Serving||As Served|
|Calories 620kcal Calories from fat 287|
|% Daily Value|
|Total Fat 32g||49%|
|Saturated Fat 5g||25%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||4%|
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs:
|Total Fat||Less than||65g|
|Sat Fat||Less than||25g|
** Are you a fried chicken fan? Have you tried crunchy baked chicken?